The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I having been having problems with some of my corals(see below post on brain coral). Well I found out I have been making a mistake. I have been toping off with salt water. I would let my tank evaporate for about 1 week and then do a water change and top off the tank. Well I finally got a hydrometer(swing arm type) and the reading is off the chart(above 1.030). So now I need to lower my salinity. I did a search, but could find much info other than to do it slow. What kinda of water do I use to do this? Tap water? Purified water from the grocery store? And at what rate should I do this? My brain coral and toadstool leather are not doing good at all, and since all my other water perameters are normal, I am attributing this to my salinity level. So I am kinda wanting to fix this quick so my coral survives. Thanks in advance for you help.

25 Gal - 3 months old
25lbs live rock
40lbs live sand
Protien skimmer
65w 10,000 - 65w Actinic
Amm, NO2, NO3, = 0
Ph = 8.2-8.4
Temp = 78
Toadstool leather
Finger leather
Green Open Brain
Lawnmower blenny
2 cleaner shrimp
assorted snails

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Your livestock can handle a drop in salinity much easier than a quick spike.

I'd remove about 3 gallons of tank water (good time to clean your substrate too ;) ) and replace it with 3 gallons of fresh Reverse Osmosis and/or Deionized and/or distilled water. Repeat this daily until you can get a reading, then stop when you hit somewhere between 1.023-1.025 SG.

You *just* got a hydrometer? How did you know what your salinity was before?

What was the source of the saltwater you were using to water change/top off? It too, shoud originate with RO/DI or Distilled water too.

Jenn

·
5,916 Posts
Hmmm you should ALWAYS double-check the specific gravity and pH of premixed water - it can be all over the map.

That's the major down side of buying/selling premixed water - makes one a bit lazy...

I knew a guy who had the opposite problem - he was getting RO fresh water, thinking it was saltwater, never checked, and watered down his tank til his livestock died - when he finally brought in a sample to be tested, his salinity didn't register at all it was less than 1.010 :(

I'm not as much a stickler for using new water that is EXACTLY matching the tank (salinity varies in the ocean), but it is important not to make a sudden drastic change, and a hydrometer is an absolutely critical piece of equipment, right out of the starting gate.

Also, be sure to mix and aerate your new salt water before adding it to the tank, or you can risk dropping the dissolved oxygen level quickly and that can be a big problem too.

HTH

Jenn

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How should I mix and airiate the premixed water I get from the LFS? I basically just go there and fill my 5 gallon jugs from thier big tanks and then take it home and dump it in. Apparently that is not the right thing to do. Any suggestions for a better approach?

·
5,916 Posts
You can get an air pump and airstone and aerate right into the jug before you use it. Chances are the LFS has some kind of circulating pump in their mixing vessel. I use a Mag 7 in a 100 gallon storage container, it keeps the water moving and helps the salt dissolve. If you are using the water immediately after you buy it, it's probably OK but if it sits in a sealed container, it's not being aerated before adding.

At home I have a couple of old salt buckets - I use one to mix new salt water, I use a small powerhead to mix the water and salt, preferably overnight or longer, but it can be done right away if need be. I use the other bucket for my waste water when I'm doing a water change - when the water in the waste bucket reaches the same level as the water in the new water bucket, I'm done water changing. I then hook up my siphon hose to the powerhead in the new water bucket, and pump the water into the tank/sump (prefer to pump into the sump if there is one), otherwise I pump directly into the tank, not close to any corals or sessile invertebrates. This saves straining to lift heavy buckets and pour water/spill water :)

Jenn

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
haha, you made the same mistake I did. I assumed that since my glass hydrometer SAID 1.023, that my specific gravity WAS ACTUALLY 1.023.

I use a seatest swing arm type now... I would highly recommend getting an ATC (temp. compensating) refractometer (which I dont have yet...do as I say, not as I do...). and I still get my water from the lfs, but I test it before I use it. heck, at least I taste it and make sure its salty :)

good luck bringing your SG into check!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.