The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced a One Spot FoxFace to my DT 8 days ago. When introduced, my Tomini Tang chased it around, gave it a couple tail slaps to show some dominance I guess. After a couple days things seemed to settle down. A couple days after that I noticed my Tomini wouldn't come out of one of the caves in my rock. He would just swim in one spot and occasionally turn around. He did this for almost 2 days. I was thinking he didn't want the FoxFace in his spot, so I tried to scare him out with a long feeding syringe. He came out swam to the front of the tank darted all over and went to the corner and laid on his side breathing heavy. Within 3 hours he was dead. When he was in the corner he didnt look the same color, he was a little darker. I also noticed that he had what looked to be a scrape on his side. I was thinking may he was stung by the FoxFace when I spooked him out of his cave. I don't know. Now my wife gets home and one of my clowns are dead! I had two, one would swim around a lot and one would just hang out. This morning I noticed one swimming up where the FoxFace was sleeping and he ran into him a couple times. The other was doing its thing at the bottom of the tank. So is the FoxFace accidentally killing them or is something going on?*Also to note, the FoxFace is a very weird fish. It will change colors when sleeping or scared. I noticed the other day that it had about 10 small freckles on only one side and I checked on him later that day and they were gone. Everyday he has them and they seem to go away or almost all of them.

Stock
1 Maroon clown (now)
1 One Spot Fox Face
1 coral banded shrimp
1 peppermint shrimp
1 feather duster
1 colony green star polyps
15 hermit crabs
7 nassarith snails*

Water
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
Salinity 1.023

I do a 20% water change every two weeks. Please Help!!!!***

I posted this elsewhere and received no help. Since then my second clown has died. I think it is Brooklynella. I noticed yesterday that I have little white specks that move on the glass, what is going on with my tank? If it is Brooklynella if I take the FoxFace out how long do I leave the display tank fishless? Will it effect anything else in there? Please help! What are the white specks? I thought that it might be crypto but it doesn't attach to glass right?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've narrowed the white specks down to copepods. So I believe that is good, cause I take vefy good care of my water.

Now does anyone know what I need to do about the Brooklynella? Will it just die off if I leave the Fox Face in there? Or do I need to remove him and put him in QT and leave the DT fishless? Please help!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
White specs could be a few things(baby snails??)...Pictures would help...Info is needed: tank size, age, occupants (size), how they were acclimated. Many fish loose their color at night.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
75 gallon 2 months old. Fox Face is about 4 inches long. Everything is drip acclimated. Might be snails but the are pretty quick. I have no camera that would pick them up.
You give your answer here; "75 gallon 2 months old." You, like many an aquarist, have gone too fast. The complete cycle takes 6-8 months. The parameter swings are way too stressful for most fish and some invertebrates. For now you have to tough it out. The Fox may not make it. Hope for the best. DO NOT add anything else and allow the tank to season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everything was fine until I put the Fox Face in. All fish was happy all was very active. My clown fish got a white film on them and died, that is why I am thinking Brooklynella or clown fish disease. So if I take your advice I should not add anymore fish for quite sometime? Correct? If I do have brooklynella and do this, when I add clown fish I can expect death correct? I had taken my time, with only 3 fish in tank and then added this last one and BANG everything died and I have him left. It would be great if it was just me being impatient and all I need to do is enjoy the fox face and wait. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
512 Posts
He is saying regardless of what you have, at 2 months and someone new to the hobby you shouldn't have anything in there. Most tanks take 6-8 weeks to cycle before you start to add fish, one every few weeks. After 3 months maybe some inverts/corals. Tanks can take up to a year to cycle fully. You're going to fast. Pictures would also help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sorry I should of been a little clearer. My tank has been cycled for 2 months. I started slowly an added 3 fish. a couple weeks later I added a Tomini Tang and a couple weeks after that I added the FoxFace. I had a Blue Hippo Tang and it died 8 days in, I was told that i probably had a bacteria bloom that depleted the oxygen so every time i add a fish i put an air-stone in for a couple days and I have not had a problem. I am not blaming the white specks. Right now I don't know who to blame but i leaning on the FoxFace. I will try to take a picture of the white specks.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I doubt the Foxface is the cause of your fish lose...The only way he could be stinging the other fish would be if they are being stuck with the spines in his dorsal fins....What are you running as far as equipment goes? Protein Skimmer, etc? Have you quarantined new additions for 30 days prior to adding them to the DT?

The Foxface changing colors is normal...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Everything was fine until I put the Fox Face in. All fish was happy all was very active. My clown fish got a white film on them and died, that is why I am thinking Brooklynella or clown fish disease. So if I take your advice I should not add anymore fish for quite sometime? Correct? If I do have brooklynella and do this, when I add clown fish I can expect death correct? I had taken my time, with only 3 fish in tank and then added this last one and BANG everything died and I have him left. It would be great if it was just me being impatient and all I need to do is enjoy the fox face and wait. Any more suggestions would be great. Thanks for the advice.
Cycled for 2 months is still a very young tank. There is a difference between a cycled tank and a mature tank. I don't doubt that your tank has cycled but I know it isn't mature because it hasn't had time. Less than a year old is an immature tank. That being said, I doubt it is your problem.

Do you quarantine all new fish? I rank quarantine as anywhere from essential to double or triple essential. Are any of your fish rubbing up against the substrate or rocks? I could be wrong here but I suspect that you have introduced a parasite into the tank. It could be brookynella or one of the other parasites (cryptocaryon irrtans for example) that in general are called saltwater ich. I had the same basic situation when I started 10 years ago. I used hypo-salinity to eliminate the parasites. The only problem with that is have to remove any invertebrates that you may have. It seems like you mentioned some snails early on in the thread. Invertebrates will not survive hypo-salinity. If you want a full description of hypo-salinity treatment let me know and I'll post it; a search for hypo-salinity will find lots of descriptions though.

Quarantine will prevent a repeat of the problem but you have to rid your tank of whatever is going on in it first. Quarantine doesn't have to be a big problem. You can get a big rubber maid tub and use it as your quarantine tank.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
My gut feeling, like other have already said, is you are suffering from young tank issues.

I doubt the clowns were suffering from Brooklynella, and ich typically is not visible in the water column and doesn't swim around, only when it develops to the stage it is visible on the flesh of the fish, my guess is you are just seeing hydroid jellyfish or pods.

My advice would be to slow down and monitor everything for a month or so. If you don't suffer any casualties and things look healthy, resume adding livestock, but do it slowly, no more than one or two fish a month.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm assuming the picture is the jellyfish, I think they are pods. They look like little nats. My peppermint shimp has moved from the rocks to my mag float up high on the tank so maybe he's getting a snack. Thanks for the advice 08trdoffroad!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Very tough getting started and learning the hard way as so many of us do. I read many valid responses from members here and agree with most.

Those are copepods, and you should start seeing amphipods too. They look like a very small shrimp kinda....free food for your fishes and such. Shows your tank is starting to do good stuff.

The 'film' you described on your clown sounds more like Velvet. God I hope not.:eek:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts