The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
Little Luey said:
Is that hairy thing part of the anemone? or is it a separete thing?

the hairy thing is what we are identifying i think....and i retract my majano statement.........

Are those things swaying on the edge of it tentacles or tentaclelike???? If not im still saying sponge but it IS INDEED an odd one......

of course..it ALMOST looks like a albino gsp that mated with a norweigan carpet anemone

·
11,345 Posts
Ive got some sponges that do some odd stuff with hair and tentacle looking stuff..........not that they look anything like that thing but if you look at the base of it where it is attached to the rock does it look anything like or in any way resemble either of these????

Attachments

·
11,345 Posts
Geoff, its not often you have no idea what something is and as well....its not often i disagree with you :) but one of those specimens i posted a pic of i have quite a bit of and it DOES sway in the current...it grows these feathery arms all over up to several inches long...........

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Does it retract when the lights go out? Those kinda look like feeder tentacles to me.

How about sticking a piece of prepared food in the middle of it and observing what happens?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Fly Guy- does it sway or does it move in the current. trying to get our definitions synced. :D sponges are rigid, but if long enough they can move in the current, but it is a stiff kinda motion. is this what yours does? which of your two pics are you talking about?

Chris's pics the thing in question looks soft, almost anemone like, but no real organized structure to it.

i definately give it funky.

G~

·
11,345 Posts
The majority of them are stiff...ish. But it definitely sways in the current just the same. But it does in places get a "feathery" tip on them that sways more. I would liken it to the stiffness of chaeto...without the curls....if that makes sense. LOL But, to be sure......nothing like an anemone or any lps type feeder tentacle. I agree with you on the funky as well as it does appear to be more softish, but it DOES look somewhat similar to what ive got, just a little bit tighter of a mass. Its just hard to tell in the pic......im kinda curious now........

im taking about the first pic.....but that is just the base of it, that pic doesnt show it when it grows out. I dont think that he has the same thing as me.......thought possibly something similar though............

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
No clue but it sure is cool! And the anemone doesn't seem to bother it, must be pretty hardy what ever it is.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
it def looks like a cross between lots of things, looks like white hair algae growing ontop of an anenome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts