The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have consolidated my reef tanks into one, leaving me with an empty 12 gallon Nano Cube. I don't want to do anymore coral, but I would like to have an interesting fish / animal of some sort to have on my nightstand. I thought about maybe a snowflake eel, or a scorpion fish, but I'm not sure if the tank will be too small for them even if they were the only occupant. Can anyone else suggest something more than just an ordinary fish for my cube? Thanks.

Chad

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Mantis are very pretty, they even have there own tread now. Thought of putting one in my fowler since there aren't any other crusty's for it to demolish.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's some predator, maybe it's some kind of angler that can be in a tank that small. I'm sure someone else will know

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't looked at the gobies, but I guess I was thinking of something a little more exciting maybe....then again I don't know anything about goby pairs. A predator would be cool, but I don't want to cram anything into a tiny tank that needs much more room. I know one of our local reef club members has a small scorpion fish in a nano tank, thats why I threw that out there.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I'd go with inverts. A peppermint shrimp will do ok in that size tank. They are friendly and are beneficial for the live rock.

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
hippocampus zosterae (dwarf seahorse) you can do a boatload of them --around 30-- (you want to keep the population and food density high so they can feed properly) but youll have to hatch brine daily/every other day.

if not, maybe a pink spot shrimp goby and symbiont shrimp.

or maybe just macroalgae, live rock, hermits, snails, starfish, shrimp and the like. lots of little non-demanding creatures would be very interesting tank. (that's what I am doing with my bedside nano, plus a yellow clown goby, except I am doing corals too) I cant think of anything terribly unique/interesting you can do in a small tank but small fishes of the 'usual' sort can be interesting in their own right.

ooo, how about a pair of harlequin shrimp? youll have to feed them live starfish though.

maybe one of the smaller jawfish. or a pair of firefish (make sure you have a mated pair!)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The goby and shrimp idea is pretty cool. If I purchase the goby and pistol shrimp seperately, will they pair up, or is it something you have to buy together? Does it matter the type of goby?

I also thought about one of those colorful miniature reef lobsters. I don't know much about them, but they look pretty neat.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
DaviesPats said:
dont kno if you'd be able to build up enough rock for the eel
thats correct. eels need very large ammounts of stable and carefully stacked rock. They like to weave in and out of the rock and anything not stable will fall and damage your tank or eel.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
c9miles said:
The goby and shrimp idea is pretty cool. If I purchase the goby and pistol shrimp seperately, will they pair up, or is it something you have to buy together? Does it matter the type of goby?

I also thought about one of those colorful miniature reef lobsters. I don't know much about them, but they look pretty neat.
do you have a dsb for the goby and shrimp to make a burrow?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I have read up a little more today. The goby/shrimp idea is good, but I notice most of the gobies need feeding 2 to 3 times per day....which is alot considering I currently feed my clownfish every couple days. I only have about a 2 inch sand bed, which may not be deep enough for burrowing.

Could I really put an angler in my tank, or would it be too small?

I also like the sexy shrimp and I haven't gotten rid of the lobster idea either.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
look into some of the mantis, ive been thinking the same stuff as you, im doing a small 20 g, im either going with a mantis or a paired goby/pistol, both ideas have very cool things about them, and mantis shrimps are VERY pretty.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts