The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my MH bulb. It's a 150 watt DE Phoenix 14k on an electronic ballast. I'm pretty happy with the Phoenix, but I think it may wash out the reds a bit. I've been reading up on the Reeflux 12k, it sounds interesting but may have a short lifespan. I do have T-5 actinics, so I could go 10k for better PAR. I just don't want anything yellow.
Could just get another Phoenix...
Too many options...:confused:
What to do?
HELP!

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I have also ran the Reeflux 12K SE, XM 10K, Hamilton 14K and as far as color the Reefluc 12K are by far my fav. blues and greens are just amazing. Right now I'm running XM10K for growth. The reeflux kinda have a bad rep but they are now make in Japan instead of china and are much better bulbs. Sanjays test showed the Reeflux having less PAR than the Hamiltons and far less than the XM but I disagree I think they are weaker than the XM but the same if not a bit brighter than the Hamiltons. I say good SPS growth and just awesome color from the Reeflux.

In my new 125 build I plan to run 3 250w XM10K and 2 VHO atinics.

Todd, If you want I have a few 3 month old Reeflux 12K's. I could throw a Reeflux in on one side and the XM on the other so you can see the difference.... I only live 10 mins away.... They are 250w SE I think you will actually gat a little more light from the DE bulbs...

·
Super Moderator
22,089 Posts
I'm a fan of 10K Hamilton/Ushios FWIW.

I just like the "white" part about them,vs going with too much "blue".

And having 2-400W 10K's on my tank, i wonder if the 4-55W actinic PC's i'm running too, are getting washed out by the MH's .I usually run the PC's b4/during/ and a lil after the MH's are running,just cuz,,, and to do the ramping up(and down) of light from the MH's.

Check around online and see if you can find some comparison pics using different temp bulbs on the same tank, and maybe you can see the kind of light you are liking .

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like I need to give the Reeflux a try. That's good to know that they are making better bulbs now.
It would be really nice to see the Reeflux & the XM side by side. Nothing like being able to see for myself before I buy.
I wonder what the PAR will be compared to my Phoenix. My clam is stretching for the light a bit now, but my bulb is really old. I heard somewhere that Sanjay's PAR for the Reeflux was a little off on the low side.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jeff,
I didn't mean to ignore your post. You just hit the post button quicker than I did.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
I'm pretty sure Sanjays tests were on the older bulbs....

I have a link to come comparisions with pictures I will try to dig it up for you....

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Here is a great site with PAR and pictures.

Looks like they tested the coralvue bulbs before they became the better reeflux.
At least its a place to start and see some pics and data....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Chris, the link didn't post.

Thanks

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be cool Chris, but I'm on a short timeline. I want to order from Hellolights.com on their moonlight madness sale on Friday.
I could check it out on Thursday shortly after 6 pm if that works out for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts