The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came home this morning after being gone since friday evening to a tank of dying corals. I have 2 different frogspawns in my 75 and one in a 10 gal and they have all basicly died. Also my hammer and a couple other things arent looking to good. Other corals and my rbta are closed up. Do have some zoos that are still open and look good. I hav eno idea what this could be from. I topped off my water before I left and added Strontium & Molybdenum, Phytoplex and purple up. My levels that I have tested are PH7.8 Ammonia between.25-.50 Nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Calcium around 500. I have no idea why this would have happened to both tanks. I have used top off water from a brita water filter. I also have used some water from the 75 to top off or water change the 10 gal. I just added coralsl to the 10 gal the day before I left from my 75gal. I am doing a 15-20 gal water change in the 75 and a 40% water change in the 10gal as the 10 gal was very cloudy. I am using brita water as I have no way off getting any other water. Please let me know if you have any ideas off what could of caused this. And what else I could do to help it. Thanks-Blake

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
were your levels like that before? You should have no ammo, or nitrate, and your ph is too low. How long have you had the purple up. There is another member who lives down the street who used some old purple up and everything in the tank started closing up. Other than doing a water change, I am not really sure you can do anything. Except to check your levels, and if they are still bad after the water change... or not ideal, wait a couple days and do another water change. Good luck Blake, I hope it gets better for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am wondering what to do with the frogspawn since some is dead and some is dying. The stuff that is dying has like slime coming out of it. Should I take them out. Is that bad for the tank.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another thing I just remembered is salty gave me some blackpowder he had and I used that for the first time on friday before I left. Just figured I would think of anything and everything just in case it could link to the problem. Thanks

·
Registered
894 Posts
Are you skimming your tanks?

Also, we don't have a ro/di either, but since we started buying RO water from Cub our tanks have improved drastically (we used to use treated filtered water). RO water is pretty inexpensive and worth the $. We get it for 23 cents a gallon.

Since it happened to both tanks, it is almost definately something you added to them.

Also, is it possible you misread the directions on one of the products and over treated the tank?
Is is also possible that the BlackPowder contains one or more of the things you added to the tank, causing an overdose?

I am not sure what caused this, I am just tossing out ideas that may jog your mind and help you to figure this out.

As Mary said, I would continue to do water changes every couple of days until your parameters look better. Also, I would add carbon to your tanks right away to neutalize any toxins that exist.

Good luck to you. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also just relized that my fiance was gone all day yesterday without the AC on and the 75 was at 87 degrees and the 10gal was at 85. They have never gotten this high before and I am guessing this could have been the problem. i dont know what happens usually when a tank gets to hot but does this sound like it could have been the cause? I turned the AC on and the temps are going down slowly but I hop eI can save some evrything that is still alive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sorry to hear

It certainly could be related to the heat spike. I'd also be leary about the additives...esp. the Marl Weiss stuff. Who knows what is in it.

I've been faced with similiar heart attack situations.

I would do the following:

1.Stop all additives except those that boost alkalinity and Ca levels (as needed)

2. Frequent water tests (alkalinity/Ca/ Ammonia/Nitrite...I would test Ph a couple of times a day)

3. Protein skimm heavily

4. Run activated carbon

5.Remove corals that look like they are on deaths bed. Decaying flesh won't help the situation.

6. If you have detectable ammonia, use some Ammonia detox (Kent marine) or similiar product

7.Anticipate ammonia and nitrite spikes over the next few weeks as the tanks recycle

8. Boost you pH with an appropriate buffer

9. If you can't get R/O water from Cub or someplace, replace your water filter to ensure it is working

Hang in there and good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i agree w/ the above.

the biggest concern right now for you obviously is the temp, get it down, turn up the AC, turn the lights off add ice or whatever.

then you need to skim like crazy put it on a high setting.

i wouldn't use anymore water from that brita filter, instead try to get RO if you can't get it then you have no choice but to use tap, i would definately run chemi-pure and carbon.

is there any cyano or hair algae???
if so your phospahtes may be a prob. too

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been adding some ice, all that I had at least. Its about 70 degrees in the house and still is 84 in the tank. Its going down slowly. I tested phosphates and thats not a problem. I have no algae. The wierd thing is if it was a temp issue then why did the 10 gal get cloudy is it becouse the frogspawn died? I do have a skimmer on the 75 gal and its on and I cranked it up. I dont on the 10 gal as I just set it up but I used water form my 75 gal this was about 2 weeks ago. I hope this takes care of it all. Im going to have to do something so it doesnt happen again. That was pretty warm water. has anyone else ever had a heat spike and lost anything? I thinking and hoping this was the problem. Well see I guess.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Before I even got down a few posts, I was thinking heat related since your were gone. I suspect the temps could have gotten even higher and that you just noticed it at 85-87. Plus depending on what your using to check temp it could be off by a degree or two so could be even worse.

Really nothing you can really do except water changes and may want to add amonia type remover. If you don't have any on hand biozyme stuff ( comes in a little red jar ) has a long shelf life and only costs a couple of dollars at petco or mail order to try to keep tank from doing a full cycle.

Really need to look into an RO/DI filter. Not only does it save you money in the long run but save the hassle of carrying water home all the time.

Using just a Brita, I suspect you will have quite the work to do as your probably fueling a algae outbreak with the large water changes with water that will likely have additional nitrates and phosphates in addition to the bi-products of tank cycling.....

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have been through the serious heat spike issue and the outcome was not good. I didn't have any corals survive and I lost all but one fish. Hope things turn out better for you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it must have definitly been the heat thing then. And yes I came home in the mornign when the lights were still off so I asume it got over 90 yesterday. I think I have lost the only corals I will lose thank god. I wish I hadnt but I guess it could have been worse. I am watching it very close now and thank you all for your help.I will check tomarrow at petco for that stuff as I do not want it to have to cycle again. Thanks Again and I will keep you all informed on the outcome. Also if anyone has any more advise feel free to post as I could always have more advise. Also the temp is down to 81 which is usually what its at. I know kinda high but I have nothin to cool it down. Also I usually get RO water from salty but in this case I had to use the brita since I didnt have time to wait and get it from him. And I do have a unit just need new filters for it. Ayone know a good place to get some. Thanks

·
LPS FREAK
256 Posts
I was using purple up awhile back things started looking funny my xenia died and zoas started looking funny. So I had Mary come over to check my tank for me and everything looked good except she got shocked when she put her hand in my tank. So there was a crack in my skimmer pump cord so I got a new pump. Well its been about a month and four days ago I decided to put purple up in my tank again. BAD CHOICE the very next mourning my xenia was all shriveled up again I have zoas that look like they were swelling up and now they are shriveling up and closing and not opening back up. I have ricordia that looks funny. So my conclusion was what are the chances I have a short in one of my old pumps ?maybe so I pulled them out and bought new ones. I changed 15gal. of water to try and get some of the purple up out its the 5th day today and some of the zoas look a little better some are gone for good. xenia is barely hanging on and two other corals closed up and died. The rest of my tank looks beautiful so far .and hopefully the rest of it is on its way to recovery. Now I no for sure and learned a very good lesson that PURPLE UP SUCKS DONKEY DI#K and the only chemical I will ever add is calcium if I have to. So I don't want to tell anyone what to do but THROW AWAY THE PURPLE UP! and your tank will someday get better after some water changes and time. (I feel better now thanks!) Sorry for your loss buddy good luck! Chad

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i too have had bad experiences with purple up. I used it per the directions on the back and EVERYTHING in the tank keeled over. i was testing the Ca at the time and i never broke 520ppm and i had it tested at the U of M with the computer anylizer (it RULES! being a chem eng major with "teachers pet" status) so i KNOW that i never got over 520 and that really shouldn't kill nothing. after reading on various sites i learned that purple up has a bad rep and also that its not intended for use with live animals int he tank, even though they don't say this on the bottle

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
also i have had good luck with Kent Tech CB two part ca additive and also Kent Liquid reactor iv used both and i have crazy acro growth.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
rihanssu said:
also i have had good luck with Kent Tech CB two part ca additive and also Kent Liquid reactor iv used both and i have crazy acro growth.
However, once you start getting into larger sized tanks with a high demand, you will go broke using the 2 part stuff and will have to find another method. There is a DIY receipe for the 2 part but likely in a large system a CA reactor will be the way to go economically.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts