The Reef Tank banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my skimmer the msx160 and other then the picture it doesnt say anything about how it is to be put together there are pieces not in the picture as well. anyone have this skimmer or the like care to help me put it together.

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are a couple pictures i looked on there site and from the pictures i saw it didnt have all those pieces in it so i hope it wasnt suppose to have them that that was a pic for all of them. i dont know if this even helps but i didnt think it would be that big a deal to put together until it shows up with no info and a pic with half the stuff on it. lol

Two hoses and this wheel. what do they go to there not in the picture

I know i got the pump on right but it just slid in not screwed

the silencer sits on the top of the pipe does something attach to it ... what keeps it from comeing off? lol any help would be great

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
The extra "wheel" is an extra impeller for the pump. Put it up and save it. The air silencer should have a tube that runs from it to the pump. The air gets drawn in the top of the silencer, out the bottom to the pump so that it acts as a muffler. If you run the pump without the silencer, you should hear it whistle from the air being drawn in.

· Registered
3,806 Posts
The extra "wheel" is an extra impeller for the pump. Put it up and save it. The air silencer should have a tube that runs from it to the pump. The air gets drawn in the top of the silencer, out the bottom to the pump so that it acts as a muffler. If you run the pump without the silencer, you should hear it whistle from the air being drawn in.
You Da Man !

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay we figured that was what one hose was for but the end that connects to the pump is bent over im loading a picture now. So not much air would get threw the picture in the link above shows it to the side this one goes straight up. and seems two corners of the pump *where the cord is attached * are broke. sigh so im emailing them now.

im not so worried about how it looks just dont want it to be broke enough that it leaks into an area it should be. two of the 4 corners are broke.

how hard is it to turn this . dont wanna break it

· Perfeshunal Hikk
11,076 Posts
It shouldn't be hard to turn but that is how you get that piece off is by turning it. The broken corners aren't going to hurt anything but they should replace the pump for you without issue.

I am still trying to figure out the other hose. Does the cup have a drain that the other hose would connect to?

· Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes we just did that and i think the other tube is if we decide to hook it to the cup to drain out that way. Its turned 90 degrees looks better still has a little kink but not really much seems better now

edit.. we were not sure about the pump turning cause it was really tight seems it wasnt on all the way right. hubby fixed it so its good now. i emailed them about the pump with a picture now so if the issue comes up they know it was right away and not later. thank you all for your help were putting hoses on the tank now and ill be filling the sump up tonight and maybe 5 gallons in the main tank then im out of water til tomorrow im not going out again tonight lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.