The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all my stuff is dying..........ive lost 1 clown, 1 carpenter wrasse, 1 lawnmower blenny, 1 large scarlet hermit....and my other clown is dying......

one large branch of the leather coral has turned purple and looks like its trying to retract......but all other corals look good....or at least better than this morning.......

heres my levels.......

amonia.....0
alk.....normal range..1.7-2.8
ph....8.0-8.2
nitrite..... .1
salinty 1.024
temp....78

75g tank.....55g sump(JUST ADDED)....100+lbs LR......CPR dual protein skimmer.....260w pc's......

inhabitants......
2 firefish gobies
1 kole tang
1 elegant foxface
2 pajama cardinals
2 cleaner wrasse.....dont start with me on them........
numerous hermits and snails.....
1 skunk cleaner
1 CBS
1 arrow crab

all this started within 24hrs of the new sump going in........most all the inhabitants are hiding except for the cleaners,cardnials, and one firefish.....

any ideas????? do i need to expect the worse????

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Was teh sump new or used? Could it have been stored someplace where chemicals could have gotten into it? Was the sump cleaned well before being put into use? I would start running some carbon ASAP regardless of how you answer.

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the sump is actually my old 55g salt tank that was tore down and converted to a breeder tank for 3 weeks and then tore down again......no chemicals of any kind have ever hit this tank.......

im running a HOB overflow and pump from a friend that i cleaned up before using........moving about 300gph.........

i actually put my emperior 400 back on the tank and started running carbon again........this is all i have used untill getting this sump up and going

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Was the sump kept anyplace (filled or unfilled) where there something airborne could have gotten into it. The garage, a basement? Just have to ask the questions to try and find the cause. If this was not possible then you need to look at other causes.

I would consider your tank to be a bit overstocked.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I helped him a bit setting it up and that is one thing I never thought of. Kim may have been cleaning or someting and sprayed somthing near the tank and that maybe what is causing the issues. The only other thing is maybe it was the addition of the 35 gallons of new SW. But I dont think that is it.

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no other additions to the tank..........the tank was filed and covered with tops and lights in my bedroom before i tore it down and cleaned it to be used a sump.........

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no brad.......no cleanin has been done near the tank with anything.....the only thing done was the front of the 75 cleaned before the sump was started....that was earlier that day thou.....

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I helped him a bit setting it up and that is one thing I never thought of. Kim may have been cleaning or someting and sprayed somthing near the tank and that maybe what is causing the issues. The only other thing is maybe it was the addition of the 35 gallons of new SW. But I dont think that is it.
That was what I would have suspected. Anytime I have to clean near the tank, I always spray the chemical on the cloth in another room.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Im at a loss

·
Registered
932 Posts
DJ retest that and see what you come up with

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
Why such a short time with the sump as a breeder? How long was it between the 55g being used as a tank and then a breeder?

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ill retest the nitrite.....thats the only thing that changed when the sump went in....

i use windex to clean the tank but its sprayed on a paper towel in the kitchen....a good 20+ft from the tank.....

the only reason i was gona use it as a breeder was to try to grow my own food for my fuzzy dwarf lion......but he didnt seem interested in the lil guppies anymore......so i got rid of what i had in there,,,,,,,,

the 55g was saltwater for about 3 months.....came down celaned and reset up as a breeder for 2-3weeks and then tore down yesterday and re cleaned and setup as the sump.....over the past few months its only been empty for a total of about 4 hours yesterday........

·
THE VILLAGE IDIOT
2,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
retested the trites 3 more times back to back......... and get the same readings .1

with this much "NEW" water already there would a water change be wise???

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles.

If it were my tank, I would pull the sump, clean it out, add fresh clean saltwater, properly transfer all critters from the display to the sump. Then I would pull the HOB filter, clean it, replace all the carbon, and place it on the sump. Then I would rinse all the LR in buckets of fresh saltwater, and place them in the sump. Clean out the display, fill with fresh saltwater, then put everything back together with 100% new salt water.

If you are not able to do that, I would at least change the GAC in the HOB.

It seems obvious to me that a toxic substance of some kind got in the system. Removing this substance will be the only way to save your critters. If you are very very very lucky, the GAC may do it for you.

This pump you got from a friend, do you know the make and model? If not, can you post a pic? Some pumps, even some designed for ponds, have grease in them, or exposed metal that is toxic in marine aquariums.

·
Registered
932 Posts
The pump that I gave him was a rio 1000

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
The pump that I gave him was a rio 1000
new rio or old, I can't remember when but there was a time period of when rios had a problem with smoking. have one from that time period and use it only for brief periods.

·
Registered
932 Posts
this one is an older version but was workin fine

1 - 20 of 38 Posts