The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered an orange ric for $18 and I snapped that puppy up! :banana: My light green ric isn't doing anything, what area of the tank do ric's like best?

She also has a few others, but I need info on these; lighting requirements, and if they're safe for seahorses and a softy tank.

purple frilly mushroom & green tree capnella.

thanks! Oh and if anyone has a pic of a green tree capnella could you post it as I don't know what they are!

·
11,345 Posts
My rics are happiest in medium flow and HIGH light. I dont know if thats the rule but i have a colony af about 9 of them that wasnt really thriving where the rest of my shrooms like it and i moved them a few times until i found out they were happiest on top of my reef only 5" deep with 2 250's only 6" more from them.........

I thought it kind of odd to be honest...but its working

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Ive got a blue ric that I placed towards the bottom of the tank under power compacts and has been doing well so far. They are still under low flow since I was patching up my closed loop, but other than that its been great and I think its going to split since I noticed its got 2 mouths.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have my green rics at the bottom of my nine gallon nano under 50/50 pc lighting. My orange ric is at the top in my thirty gallon under the same type of lighting. They are both doing great. They both have good flow.
Here's a bit of info on the green tree:
Capnella sp.

<TABLE borderColor=#006699 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=290 bgColor=#ffffcc border=1 frame=box><TBODY><TR><TH class=thra>Quick Stats: Kenya Tree Coral</TH></TR><TR><TD class=arbreadcr>Family: Nephtheidae
Range: Indo-Pacific
Color Form: Cream, Gray, Brown, Green
Ideal Supplements: Iodine, Strontium, Trace elements
Reef Compatible: Yes
Tank Conditions: 72-78ºF; sg 1.023-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
Water Flow: Medium to Strong
Light: Medium to High
Dominance: Semi-aggressive
Placement: All levels
Care Level: Easy
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Kenya Tree Coral, also referred to as a Cauliflower Soft Coral, Nephthea, or Nephthya, is similar to the members of both the Litophytonand Nephthea genera. It lives in a wide range of the Indo-Pacific. It has a thick trunk, like a tree, and many branches giving it an arboreal appearance. It is not normally considered a threat to hard corals, but may itself be disturbed by their presence. The Kenya Tree Coral relies less on the symbiotic algae within it, and depends more on obtaining outside food. Microplankton, marine snow, and dissolved materials should make up the bulk of its diet.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! Well it should be happy in my tank then with no skimming happening! My xenia sure like it! lol!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
By the way DebsSisterFlo... love your:
If a tree falls in the forest and then springs back upright as a joke, do the squirrels freak out?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts