The Reef Tank banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has lost video game priveleges for a while but a little birdie tells me he's playing games on the computer while I'm not here. I need help activating the password feature on Windows. I have it set up (or so I thought). But when the window comes up that asks for a password all you have to do is click "cancel" and it takes you right in to Windows. (What good is a password if Windows allows you to bypass it?) Can someone please tell me how to fully enable the password feature?

TIA:)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rick, does he know you have to click on cancel? I know on 2000 Pro, if you type in any password and click enter, it will say it's the wrong password....you have to leave it blank to gain access...but I believe go to: Start/Control Panel/ Users and Passwords. Click box that says users must enter a username and password to enter computer. And keep following directions.....I'm not sure if that is the same as ME, I have Windows 2000 Pro.....Hope this helps somewhat. Mike

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently he's figured it out. I can't find any way to fully activate the password feature. Maybe I'll take the mouse to work with me.:)

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Having done computer tech for the school where I taught, I can tell you even the little kids know about hitting cancel at the pwd window.

Win NT and I think Win 2000 can be pwd protected, but not '98 or ME. EXCEPT:

Put a password on the bootup so it won't boot until the pwd is typed in.

You go to setup as it's booting (I forget the F# key you hit...F8? F10? ) then in setup, go to where it asks if you want it password protected. DON'T FORGET YOUR PASSWORD. Then once that's set, when you start up the computer, it will go to the black screen during the boot cycle and the white letters will ask for a password.

If you set a screensaver pwd, he can get around that by shutting the computer off incorrectly and letting it boot up again...

~ Shirley

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Shirley is correct. Windows 95, 98, and ME can be easily started by canceling the password screen (it just logs them in as a guest). You will need to put a password on the bios in order to protect your computer. If you were to change your OS to NT, 2000, or XP, the computer will not allow a user to bypass the logon screen. The Function key that you hit to enter the BIOS will depend on the BIOS type and version. For most of the newer Dell computers it is F2. I have also seen computers that use F10, F1 or "Delete." Just watch you computer when it boots up. It should temporarily flash a message that tells you what to push to enter setup.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ShirleyM said:
And if you don't want to set a bios password, then just pull the keyboard for awhile.

~ shirley
I guess that's the safest way to do it. I can't understand why Windows would put up a password prompt if they allow you to bypass it.:confused:

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
If you can't figure out the password issue you can always take the power cord off the CPU.

·
Registered
166 Posts
< I can't understand why Windows would put up a password prompt if they allow you to bypass it.>

What, Microsoft and securtiy issues! Who would think such a thing?

Okay, okay...I know OS wars are bad. I'll just go back to my Mac and shut up......

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Rick,
I can set you up with Win 2K. (I converted all of mine to linux and/or win xp)

Ray

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Rick you do realize that there is software that allows you to control a person's access and log ins via a master control. My wife's server upstairs controls the kid's pc.

Ray

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ray1214 said:
Rick you do realize that there is software that allows you to control a person's access and log ins via a master control. My wife's server upstairs controls the kid's pc.

Ray
I wasn't aware of that. That's what I need. Can you give me more info please?

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the "password" on 95, 98, and me weren't meant as security features, they were meant so users could have different profiles and desktop settings, icon placement, screen resolution, etc.. that's why you can jsut hit cancel and windows will load up as normal, with the default, or "all users" settings in place.

the best option is a bios password.

not sure how young the little guy is, but simply removing the keyboard, or mouse, or powercord, might not be an option...they can always borrow from a friend :D

my mom used to take the phone cord to work when i was grounded from the phone. i jsut got a spare cord from a friends house and kept it hidden in my drawer :D

netnanny, cybersitter, and others like them are all excellant programs to use. this will allow specific settings, content restrictions, and can record keystrokes, programs that were accessed, and a lot of other stuff.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I upgraded from 98 to XP Home, then to XP Pro....Better performance...Its just a great OS all around...

-Paul

1 - 18 of 18 Posts