The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodday everyone, i have finally got my light fixture for my 55 gal, I have 35-40#s of lr and 40#s of aragonite sand CaribSea). It has been up and running now for about a month and a half. My water parameters are great,,
My light fixture is a
2 x 65 Watt Compact Fluorescent Fixture
Includes 2 - SmartPaq Lamps (10,000K Day and 460nm Actinic)
2 Lunar Light LEDs
Cooling Vent
48.25" x 5.25" x 2.5"
This weekend I was planning to get two Clownfish, i wanted two different ones and introduce them together (if possible)!!!
Can anyone assist me in stocking my tank? (invertebrate, anemone, etc...) i need some good ideas. I don't want alot of fish but I would like for my tank to be beautiful and full of colors.
Thanks Darieus

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey Darieus, welcome!
I hate to be the one to come out and say it... but the first thing you'll need to do is upgrade your lighting.
If youre planning on going reef with this setup, the light is one of the most important pieces of equipment. 2x65w PCs just isnt going to give you enough light to sustain corals (and definately not an anemone).

As difficult as it is... try not to buy anything yet. Start doing some more reading and ask lots and lots of questions. Come on out to the ARC (Atlanta Reef Club) meeting next week. It will be a good place to meet some folks and get some ideas. I will be there as well as many other people that would be willing to give you a helping hand (or fin). This months meeting would be a good place to pick up some good used equipment cheap. Here's the thread with the meeting details

What's your goal for the tank? Do you have any certian fish/coral that you have your eyes on?

·
Registered
375 Posts
You'll also want to look into a skimmer, especially if you want to keep corals. I don't know if you already have one, but you didn't mention it. If I may...a great place to gain information is www.wetwebmedia.com. I did extensive reading there before I started my first reef tank. It's got a lot of information about fish, inverts, lighting, water parameters, skimmers, etc.

A few things I would not recommend to you...large fish (tangs and such), seahorses, eels, any hard corals or anemones (unless you upgrade your lighting), mandarin dragonettes (or any dragonette). You can have a lovely setup without these things, and your current setup simply won't sustain them. If this is your first marine tank, start off slowly. You'll certainly upgrade in the future when you have more money and experience (or at least that's what I did). Then, you'll be able to look into some of the really awesome things that we see (and envy) in many ATL reefers tanks. I, actually don't keep any of those items either, except for mandarins.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts