The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need an electrician that can run 2 20 amp lines off my main to my fishroom/built in stand or alternatively put a 60 amp sub in my fishroom and run the 2 20's off there. I have received one estimate so far and it is way higher than what I anticipated ($1800 to go the sub route and the main is only about 25ft away?).

Got any folks you woud recommend...I'll even rough it in, I just don't want to play with the main.

tia

- scott -

·
Registered
140 Posts
Scott,
Any takers on the electrician hunt? If still in need contact me. I'm not a licenced electrican but was a general contractor for lots of years and have LOTS of electrical experiance. I've wired up several reef systems including dedicated circuits at the load center. I'll be wiring up another system next weekend 8/30 and adding two more dedicated circuits for that one.
JJ

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
$1800!!! :eek:

Holy smokers, that's highway friggin robbery.
I don't know what the going rate is, but I'd certainly opt for an experienced non-licensed friend or acquantaince.

I bet you could buy a book for less than $30 that would give you enough information to get it done safely. ;)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JJG said:
Scott,
Any takers on the electrician hunt? If still in need contact me. I'm not a licenced electrican but was a general contractor for lots of years and have LOTS of electrical experiance. I've wired up several reef systems including dedicated circuits at the load center. I'll be wiring up another system next weekend 8/30 and adding two more dedicated circuits for that one.
JJ
Yes there have been (and thank-you for your offer) and unfortunately after a long conversation w/ the wife last night the message I got loud and clear was that this was to be done by a professional/certified electrician (or I'd burn the house down:D). I am picking my battles wisely and since she is willing to get more estimates for me we are going that route :D Interestingly she believes I am reading the $1800 quote wrong (and based on some further clarification/itemization from the electrician I think she may be right). Estimate to wire in a sub and 2 20 amp circuits was itemized @ $950. What came in at $1800 involved wiring up my backup generator to the house where a 60 amp generator panel would be used in place of the sub and wired into this generator panel would have been; my generator, the 2 20 amp circuits, the furnace and the circuit the fridge is on. The way this was written up totally threw me since I had initially asked for a quote to wire the 60 amp sub and 2 20 amp circuits (to address my immediate need) and since he would be done this estimate I also wanted a separate estimate to know what it would cost to wire my generator to my main (future need)...and for some reason or another bit of these requests were consolidated and I didn't get it.

So, I given all of this I have the 2 options but now what is bugging me is that the method of wiring up the generator to a sub vs. the main is not what I wanted because this only gives me 20 amps off the generator to wire other circuits into vs. being able to spread it out over a few more circuits in the main. I was thinking more along the lines of wiring the generator to the main via generator panel and wire my tank requirements via a separate sub. In the event of a power outage I think I would be be much more inclined to minimize electricity consumption on the tank, running the bare necessities and powering up some other stuff such as the AC or a TV, few lights etc. than I would be to sit in the dark running all the equipment on my tank (I am also not all that thrilled with the idea of running stuff already connected to the main from a sub located in a different location?).

Thoughts on any of this?

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
After trying to understand this, I would say don't worry too much about where the generator circuits would be, if you have one or 2 for the tank and you have the fridge and furnace covered, then if you want to move power around, buy a few heavy duty extension cords, it may be a lot cheaper and hopefuly you will not need to use the generator very much.

JMHO

Jon

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apoligize for the lack of clarity, I should have re-read my rambling before posting :eek: ...but to your comments on running extension cords, why would I want to pay a fair amount of money to wire a generator to the house and also run extension cords to those things I can plug in...isn't the idea of hooking it to the house so you don't have to run extension cords and so that all hard wired fixtures and appliances are usable?

·
Land Shark
5,946 Posts
Yes, that is the idea of a generator hooked to the house--that it will run vital appliances. Figure out what components of your fish tank (pump & heater/cooler) and house (fridge/freezer) are vital, those should be hooked to the generator. Anything extra is icing on the cake.
It's not a bad idea to have a pro install things, but if I've read the book right, it doesn't look very difficult to hook up (circuit breakers, that is).
Derek

·
TCMAS MEMBER
1,153 Posts
OR go ahead with JJG THEN call in an inspector, and have it written up 'MEETS CODE'

then you should be good to go.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have to agree with Clyde. Call the state board of Electricity or go to your local city hall get a permit. Wire it up with a knowledgeable friend and have it inspected. I haven’t priced a auto transfer switch and generator lately but I still think you could get it done for about half the $1800 Depending on what watts you’re looking for. As for your wife let her know that the electrical inspector is going to be very thorough when it comes to a home owner so it will be plenty safe

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have completely rewired my house and am in the process or either running a sub or just running 2 20A circuits for the new fish tank and it is not all that hard. The electrical inspector only had a couple of questions about my work and I just called up my local CO-OP to get the permit. If you have somebody or you yourself knows what you are doing it is not all that big a deal.

I hooked up my generator so that I back feed from a welding plug and then have to shut off my main breaker, this is somewhat ok as long as you know enought to disconnect the main and now I can run any circuit I want to. Probably not good enough for the wife though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.