The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gurls,

I am in dire need of a replacement 3200 GPH Dolphin (Ampmaster) marine pump if anyone has one or knows of one locally that I can buy (even retail at this point, $$$, the days will make a difference). If I cannot find one by Saturday evening, I guess I will order one and overnight it ($$$) here, I thought the one I had in storge would work, but apparently there is some isue with the seals I have a Sequence that puts out 4500 GPH, bit it will not fit in the space I have to work with, alhough if I HAD THE TIME, I WOULD THINK ABOUT REWORKING THE ENTIRE PLUMBING FOR MY DISLAY TO FIX THIS ISSUE.

If any of you know of a retail shop that has one, I will make arrngements to get that one Saturday if it is within reasonable driving range (up to ~150 miles away or so). For now the Tunzes are keping the circulation going inside the display, but this means no skimming, no ATO, no heat, no phosphate reacotr, no Ca reactor, no carbon for the time being.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
good Lord Tom, if i had one it would be yours.... but have you contacted OF or AO to see if they have something they can help you out with till you can get a new one ordered and installed

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Don't have any pumps that powerful laying around. If you need any help reworking the plumbing I'll be free all weekend.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1276419

I will post pix here tomorrow, I bet I have the largest collection of stony coral skeletons in the Southeast now... :mad:

Some of the corals may recover, but the tank look bleached right now. Pix tomorrow after I do the resizing. I guess I'll be pulling a number of frags from the frag systm to start over again...

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I'm free all day, call me if you need a hand with anyone. I have to go to lowes too (to buy some paint), so if you need any fittings, I can drop them off.

·
Super Moderator
26,860 Posts
http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1276419

I will post pix here tomorrow, I bet I have the largest collection of stony coral skeletons in the Southeast now... :mad:

Some of the corals may recover, but the tank look bleached right now. Pix tomorrow after I do the resizing. I guess I'll be pulling a number of frags from the frag systm to start over again...
OUCH, Tom! I have some nice corals that you could have.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Bleaching is bad, I have started pulling colonial skeletons of specimens that obviously have no coenenchyme nor polyps left, the rest I am hoping might recover and recolonize with zoox...

Some colonies might come back, I am running several 2 hour to 3 hour periods of MH now during the day rather than a single photoperiod and try to gradually inrese that one period (several studies demonstrate that corals reach a photosynthetic saturation point within 2 to 4 hours depending on specie and intensity of lighting (one study was based on natural sunlight in a natural setting and covers to eliminate light during the daytime), so this should maximize what little zooxanthellae are left, and give them a good rest between lighted perioids to avoid any further issue with bleaching). I'm thinking of trying a once-every-2-day feeding with a small dose of Oyster eggs...

Some of the few that survived, mostly Montipora spp but a few odds-and=ends of other spp. as well:

On many of the ones that appear capable of making it, you can still see the polyps, and a few still have Zoox coloring the tissue in the polyps. If you look closely, you an see the individual polyps on some of these. I must aololgize for the poor quality of these photos: I am saving up to buy a new macro for the D-80, looking at the Nikkor 105 1:1 lens with VR, but I thought that collecting corals was expensive...

I have been pretty much wiped out in the display, there are maype 10 colonies left that might make it, I was worried about the big Squammie clam, but it is starting to color back up and expand its mantle again, still quite pale and not expanding anywhere near what it was like before:

I have a good collection of stony coral skeletons out bleaching in the sun now since the start of this little episode of pump problems, you can believe that I will not be letting this type of thing becoming a possibility again.

The real shame is that it was all voidble. Some of these colonies were more than 10 years old, and all were grown from frags or very small colonies, and most of them had become quite large; in the second picture note the egg crate to the right of the picture for scale, these skeletons are sitting on top of a pair of plastic 55 gallon drum lids.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is my oldest, slowest growing and one of my favorite colonies in the tank, I think I got this around 1993 in a boating dry dock down at the very bottom edge of the part that stayed wet all the time. It was the size of my last joint of my thumb when I found it, and although it was never a spectacular colony, it was my first stony to survive being kept in captivity. It is about 6 times it's original size, some type of Acroporiid staghorn I think, never took the time to ID it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Oh man Tom, I am so sorry as seeing those pictures bring to life how devastating the situation is. That actually makes me want to cry. I know Tony got a few things for you yesterday, and hopefully all of your kindness and generosity will start finding its way back to you and you will be restocked before you know it.

Keep up the fight and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of your corals and your new ones to come.

·
MICRO TANG
1,815 Posts
OH MY GOD Tom, I had no idea that it was this bad.
I knew you lost a bunch, but these pics. make me want to cry too.
I had to go through a tank crash too but I had allot less to loose.

I wish I still had corals I could share with you.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
He just left the house... with 5 species to get him at least a bump... 3 acro's one pocci and one monti...hopefully things will turn around... and a big thanks for the rock Tom... tub is filling right now with DI water...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts