The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi whats up,

55 gallon since april of this year:cpr skimmer maxijet 1200,fluval 405, not sure how many lbs of rock
1 yellow tang,1 blue hippo,2 clowns ,1 wrasse (cleaner),1 engineer goby,around 7 hermit crabs.(red knobbed star fish and anemoni RIP)

Im currently in a battle with red slime the lfs said i had high phosphates so i bought phosban but i removed it after like 7 days because i read a couple bad stuff about that product. now i dont know what to dooo:confused:

Question-- should i get a sump or am i good with the filtration i have and if i do get a sump can i ditch the fluval 405 ? which is better?

theres 2 pics of how my tank used to look like , i hate to see it the way it is right now:(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Well the Fluval is a contributing factor to your issues.
Also a lil more info would help?
Water source. maintenance, are we blowing detritus off rock before water changes, cleaning the SB, Flow, and so on.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
first 55g tanks are a little tricky to get the flow right in...

now when I had my 55g I had a large cyano problum...

the way I fixed it was this...

and siphoning, changed the whole way I did reefing and it really payed off for me..

you can take a read at the "reef keeping made easy" link in my signature, it explains a lot of it ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
are you using RO/DI water? it looks like your tank is front of a window, there might be too much sunlight coming in causing algae blooms. you could put a black aquarium background or paint the back of your tank if too much light is coming in. also i would get rid of the fluval 405 filter, it most likely causing a nutrient problem in your tank.

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
daylight is actually helpful for a reef, my tank gets morning and afternoon sun, that little extra light can help cut back on lighting costs.

light is good for a tank, nutrients are bad, so instead of letting the bad stuff stay and getting rid of the good stuff, keep the good stuff and get rid of the bad nutrients ;)

your tank is still "young" and this might be part of the uglies also...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone,

well i hardly ever open that window and when i first started i would use tap but like the 3rd month i started using ro/di and in regards to the cleaning well i just do the water change and siphone that slime from the sand is there anything else i need to do?
nate bro-did you remove all the sand well is that how you fixed it??

how about a sump i dont know how to build one or even what goes on it any suggestions??

sorry everyone im a new at the hobby im still learning :doh:

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
removing the sand was a huge part of fixing it, but there is no quick fix.

once you remove the sand you will see how much detritus collects on the tank floor, that that detritus is what you want to remove, the faster its removed the better.

we have something we call "cooking" the rocks, and its more of a purging, all those bound nutrients are removed during the "cooking" process.

here is a good read on cooking rocks.. http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/a-note-on-cooking-rock-156977.html

I cooked my rocks, but I did it in my tank since I already had corals and fish.

also having a great skimmer will be one of the best things you can buy for your tank.

there is also a thread link in my signature "reef keeping made easy", it will explain how phosphates work and all the methods and ways people use and how those methods work.

the thread has grown a lot, but its really better then most any book you can buy on the mater IMO...

now once I got a hold and grasp on this info I built a new tank, and I now have no canyo that I have seen and very limited algae thats still decreasing :)

this is my current tank...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
sorry everyone im a new at the hobby im still learning :doh:
No reason to be sorry. There are 100 different ways to keep a reef tank and most all are successful.
Best advice I can give is be patient and once you have decided on a reefing method, stick to it.
Changing from one method to another and then back again, I believe causes more problems than anything. Be consistant with your system.
Steady as she goes. Age will be your friend in reefing (age of the system that is)

Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts