The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i will be laying tile on saturday in a bathroom. I am doing a floor and a shower enclosure. please give me advice on how to do this right from the start. I will have all the tools including a tile saw etc...

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
oh geez, my husband just did our bathroom last spring. He layed the tile and it turned out great but I'm afraid to try to remember, I don't want to give you the wrong advice! We went to Menards, our local home building supply store and they gave him all the knowledge and it turned out great. Good luck! It's an all day job! It helps if someone can keep mixing the cement stuff for you, I did that so he could just stay in there laying and leveling.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
If you've never done this before, then I'd suggest getting a good buddy that has, or buying a good DIY book from one of the Home Improvement centers, as prep is EVERYTHING, and there are many little details that will make your job easier during the install and planning, from purchacing the right tools and preparing the surface with backerboard to the use of spacing wedges on vertical surfaces and your total tile layout. Too bad I'm not within short driving distance, I like to do tile. :agree:

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It will be a little closer... In Utah... We should have at least 1 person that has done it before but experience is still gonna come at a premium. I'm mainly looking for any tips or tricks.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
get wonder board, screw it down, tape the seams with a little thinset (the cement you use) and mortar tape, let it dry good before you start the actual tile, when you start the tile, use spacers, the sell them at home depot and such, little rubber + that goes in between every corner, or if your doing a brick pattern, you can stand them on edge. if you have any questions let me know, ive done too much tile in my life already.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,265 Posts
Tommypoo said it best. The entire deal is making sure you either lay down a new subfloor or level the heck out of your old floor first.

Once the real work is done a chalk line East to West and another to the poles and some spacers and the right amount of adhesive and you are golden.

Do some math and try to even out the cut pieces one side to the other or make sure that you wont end up with one inch pieces towards one side.

Get the pieces in then c'mon back before grouting time.

·
Registered
163 Posts
good advice from leveldrummer. when you put the wonderboard down, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE SCREWS. the more the better,it will give you a solid surface to tile. if you have ANY squeeks or soft spots in the floor, try to brace that spot in the basement with a 2x4 spanning the floor joists. you don't want your tiles cracking or grout crumbling 2 months down the road. good luck. much peace!!!!!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
What are you setting the tile on wood or cement?

·
Super Moderator
27,048 Posts
see if your local library has a video about it. I know we have a couple, but it's a bit far :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I was thinking about putting tile up behind the stove in the kitchen - can you tile drywall?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Twitterbait said:
I am not sure about the floor, it is in the basement so the base floor is concrete. the walls are wonderboard.
your good to go then, concrete is cake! like perry said, chalk lines, how ever wide your tile is, chalk a line in the middle of the room going both ways, (depending on the shape of the room, do the best you can, the figure out if you want the first tiles on each side of the line, or the line splitting the tile, lay some out dry if you want, and see where the last ones fall, only put down enough mud to do a few tiles at a time, you dont want a ton of mud on the floor that your pushing around to lay the tile, keep the spots in between the tiles as clean as possible, or you will be scraping out the mud before you grout (not fun) if you have to go in a closet or anything, go in one side to the back, then back out of the closet laying the other side, or you have to wait for it to dry before doing the rest. and the best tip i can give you would be GET SOME KNEE PADS!!

·
Retired Wanderer
17,265 Posts
concrete floor and a bunch of prep...just get your putty knife and keep on it

·
Retired Wanderer
17,265 Posts
Yep...perfect base. Just go to HD and level the transitions and cracks if you can. Also get a nipper tool so you can cut the drain hole and around pipes and stuff. The tile saw will do the straight cuts.

We expect PICTURES. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
btw, get the knee pads as already suggested, they are LIFESAVERS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts