The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried yet again to get a good fts... but instead of a good shot I get this. Yuck! I try to take the pic in full auto, landscape, and TV, the aperture has to be 2.2 otherwise it's blinking. I use a Canon Rebel XT.
Please give me some advice on my settings. I took this pic with a tripod and a remote switch. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've seen stunning fts and I want to get at least one nice shot of my tank! Thanks!

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aw, thanks! I'm really really happy with it now. Problem is I'm fighting this terrible urge to get a dwarf angel (see my new thread).

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
If it is on a tripod with a remote switch, dont worry about the blinking.

It looks to me like your depth of field is too small, so I would definitely use a smaller aperture, try f11 or f8.

Set it too aperture priority, no flash. If you can focus manually, and then shoot with the tripod and remote.

Now what kind of lens are you using?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this shot was taken with the 28-90mm.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
here it is in AV mode, F11. I cropped and resized but did not retouch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Agree with drsyme, looks out of focus or shallow depth of field. The smaller the aperture (strangely, it is the higher the F number) the greater your depth of field. Try that first and see how it looks. I would take pics at each F stop and then compare since you have a dslr.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
DebsSisterFlo said:
here it is in AV mode, F11. I cropped and resized but did not retouch.
I think that is better dont you?

Are you zoomed in or not? I would use the wide setting and get as close to the tank as you can and still keep all of it in the frame, set your WB for fluorescent.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
getting a lot of glare off the rocks, try to set your tripod a little higher and aim kinda down at the tank and see what happens. It does look better in focus.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Agree raise the tripod some and angle down slightly it should get rid of reflections and glare for you. The last shot was much better!

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Hey Jess, just for fun, use that polarizing filter and take a few shots and see what it looks like. That'll get rid or the glare and brighten up some of the colors - I think.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Good advice. Make sure you manually focus it in. if you use auto focus it will usually focus on the outside surface of the tank and everything inside will be fuzzy. if you do it manual then you can focus on a point inside the tank.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Twitterbait said:
Good advice. Make sure you manually focus it in. if you use auto focus it will usually focus on the outside surface of the tank and everything inside will be fuzzy. if you do it manual then you can focus on a point inside the tank.
Yes that was your biggest problem initially. The depth of field was too small so the AF focused on the front and most of the tank was out of focus. I meant to emphasize doing manual focus more for just this reason, with a large depth of field and manually focusing in the center you should get the entire tank in focus.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
waiting for the lights to come on. What does bracketing the exposure mean?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok... that auto enhance is still the best feature I've seen on photo programs!
Here is it, tripod, remote switch, fluorescent filter, F22 stop. First is an untouched pic, then enhanced, same with the actinic. It still doesn't look like some of those pics I've seen...

Attachments

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ooh ooh! So now I'm playing with the ISO and dropped it down to 200 and took this shot. The first pic is resized only, the second is after enhancing. I didn't even crop it, I love it! Someday I'm gonna be really good, when I figure out how to use this camera to its potential!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Jess, that last pic is fantastic!! Great sharpness and colors. Your full tank shots still seem to have too much glare off the rocks. You could try to decrease the brightness in photoshop or whatever program you are using. What ISO were you using before you tried 200?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts