The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I apologize if I am posting this in the wrong section. I have not listed it for sale yet, so classifieds didn't seem to fit, so this was my second guess. I am not looking for prices or anything like that or trying to sell it from this thread.

So, the short version is, I have a 180g SW system with all the bells and whistles. It has been running for about 3 years now and I want to get rid of it (I originally got it to share in my now ex-gf's hobbies). It currently has a major aiptasia infestation, some coral and a couple clowns.

Would it be advisable to sell it as is, with aiptasia and all (is live rock with aiptasia still worth more than "dead rock"?), or should I sell the remaining livestock, drain it so the aiptasia dies off (from drying out) and sell it that way?

From what I understand there is no easy way to kill off aiptasia, so letting it dry out seems like the most efficient way to kill it.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Many hobbyists know how to deal with aptasia, so disclosing it upfront should eliminate anyone who doesn't know how to deal with it. LR may have other organisms that are beneficial that you don't want to kill off, so I'd say it is definitely better than dry rock or dead rock.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Many hobbyists know how to deal with aptasia, so disclosing it upfront should eliminate anyone who doesn't know how to deal with it. LR may have other organisms that are beneficial that you don't want to kill off, so I'd say it is definitely better than dry rock or dead rock.
Agreed!

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
HA! If you sell it to a newbie that is anything like I was when I started. You might get extra for the rocks with aiptasia. Man I wanted those things so bad when I first started........DUH!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Where ya at shaggy? I might know someone ;)

·
Premium Member
3,852 Posts
Fiddle sticks. That's a lil far away from here.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so I finally listed this tank and the low-ballers are annoying me so I am now looking for advice with reasonable asking price. I have listed the details below. Again, if I am breaking a forum rule with this thread (haven't been a regular visitor in over a year), I apologize.

Any thoughts on what I "should" be able to get for the list below?

The Live Stock:
2 Skunk Clown Fish
1 Maroon Clown Fish (in sump because he does not play nice with other clowns)
More Hairy Green Mushroom Corals than I can count
More Zoanthus Polyps than I can count
1 Bubble Coral
1 Hammer Coral
1 Duncan Coral
Some red coral that I forget what it is called
~200lbs of live rock
~200lbs of live sand (should probably be discarded)

The Equipment:
180 Gallon tank with dual overflows
55 Gallon sump tank
Venturi style skimmer rated to 400 gallons
Calcium reactor with CO2 tank (believed to be working, but not in use)
2 250 watt metal halide ballasts/fixtures/bulbs
4 90 watt CF ballasts/fixtures (believed to be working, but not in use)
Dual 55/65 watt CF ballast (believed to be working, but not in use)
4 Koralia4 pumps
3 submersible and 1 non-submersible pumps (return, skimmer, storage tank and water change)
RODI Filter (probably needs new filters)
175 gallon storage barrel
55 gallon water change/storage barrel
Stand with canopy and side cabinet
18 gallon than that I use as a top off tank
Auto Top-Off switch

The Bad:
There is an outbreak of aiptasia. If you know what you are doing it shouldn't be too hard to resolve, but since I lost interest in the hobby I have not bothered with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts