The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
They look like standard fluorescent bulbs to me. Not sufficient for some corals I believe but FO would be just fine. Look into Power compact fixtures for the minimum "safe" zone except for sps corals and a couple of others.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Being that thy are 10k thy are probably VHO. This would work for softies and some LPS but I would look elsewhere. Find something with a known ballast, new or fairly new bulbs. Take a look at T-5's also. Personally I wouldn't want PCs for the primary lighting on your tank. The bulbs are costly over time and you need a lot of them to get the wattage from other types. This is just my personal preference though. many like PCs and do well with them. My 55 had 4 110 watt VHO bulbs ran b two ARO ballasts. it was a great set up. Now Ill be using the VHO's for actinic supplementation on my 150

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
couldnt I just replace the lights in the hood I have now or is it just a completely different setup that i need
If you dont have the right ballasts, then you wont have any power. Also you need corresponding ballasts for bulb type.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I just did! ;)The ballasts powers the bulbs. MH is a high intensity bulb that will allow you to keep any type of coral. VHO is a fluorescent tube like the ones in the link. VHO is very high output. PC, power compact, is another fluorescent bulb. The best thing is to decide what type of coral you want to keep[. If you want SPS (small polyp stony) then you want MH also you want MH if you want an anemone. T-5s are a newer flourescent that are touted to be more versatile than VHO and PC lighting.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
which is the cheapest? X) I'm trying to get by with what money I have but still enjoy the hobby. If I can find something for around 100 bucks used for a certain setup that would be nice. I plan on just getting frags and some cheap anems to get me by until I find a job.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
What are you going to keep in the tank? If you want to enjoy the hobby take the right steps or the money you save wont compare to the money you waste. Its not a cheap hobby. If you buy something based on price, you'll spend even more than if you spent a bit more in the beginning to get the right equipment.
Buy equipment based on what you plan to keep in the tank. Otherwise, you'll end up with more problems than you know what to do with or you'll just be buying the right equipment later down the line.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a PC system that i'll sell for 70.00 Single ballast with dual 96W lamps.

The ballast is a coralife dual electronic ballast. ballast is about a year old. 1 lamp is new (Actenic) and the other is about 6months old (50/50)

Does that setup sound good?

Its $70 for this

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
http://dallas.craigslist.org/hsh/555170864.html

Would these be sufficient? I guess I would need the 48" for my tank.
I'm not too familiar with all this yet but im trying to learn. Thought I would ask you guys first if this is a good deal
Call the guy and ask him what size bulbs they are. Whether they are T5, T8 or standard NO lights. With the light range, it is doubtful they are NO (T12). The number with the T is the diameter of the bulb in 1/8" of an inch. So a T5 bulb is 5/8", a T8 is one inch, and a T12 is 1 1/2". A T12 is what you get for a shop light and is called "NO" (Normal output).

Then, find a resource, whether a book, LFS, online, but a resource for reef critters. Go through it and figure out what you want in your tank. Then figure out what lights you need for those critters, and then you will know what lights you are hunting. That is one mistake I made that I hope I don't regret was buying lights before I made my own wish list.

What type of lights you get will depend, directly, on what you want in the tank. And most importantly, be patient. Patience is my own downfall.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
What are you going to keep in the tank? This is what should dictate what lights you get. Unless of course you just want to spend some money now and then spend more later to get the lights you need:doh:. There's a right way and a wrong way to progress in the hobby. Many people have learned the hard way and a to re-purchase the correct equipment later on the line after already spending a bundle. I'm one of them:D, just trying to save you some money in the long run and maybe even the lives of some animals

1 - 13 of 13 Posts