The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting my mother in law into the hobby; she wants a FOWLR. I'm all excited about having another tank to play with on someone else's dime!! Weeeeeeeee! :D :dance:

Anyhow, I read that someone suggested going with 25% CC and 75% finer sand. That sounded good to me...what would you guys suggest that I go with? There is a LFS around here that has live sand for sale, or should I go for southdown or some other prepackaged stuff? What about those prepackaged 'wet' bags of sand you can get (sorry if that description isnt adequate)? Anyone have any experience with those?

She wants to eventually have a variety of smaller fish, possibly a sand sifter goby (after the tank has aged quite a bit)

I dont think I want to try my hand at a DSB at this point for a 30 gallon tank, but what depth would be the best to use? 2 inches? 3?

Any and all suggestions and info greatly appreciated.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
DO NOT go with Southdown in a FOWLR... I have SD in my 125 with two triggers in it... The tank is a CONSTANT milkshake from them digging in the sand. If the tank is going to stay FOWLR, I'd reccomend a thin coating of CC which will make it easy to vacuum.

My filtration for my FOWLR's is a wet/dry with LR... Blowing lots of ditritus off the LR, and bunches of vacuuming and water changes.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
CC will be too much for a sand sifter goby. First decide which fish you are going to keep, research thier habits/likes/dislikes and then go from there... I would stay clear of SD also and go with something like the "Carib Sea" "Seafloor SP Grd Reef Sand"... Page 3 of thier product catalog, top left picture.

http://www.carib-sea.com/Carib1.htm

Also "Natures Ocean"

ITEM #10351
Atlantic Crushed Coral #4
Particle Size 2.0 mm-4.0 mm
http://www.naturesocean.com/gravels2.htm

ITEM #10631
Aragonite Sand # 1
Particle Size 1.5 mm-3.0 mm
http://www.naturesocean.com/gravels4.htm

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Toadfish said:
Has anyone had any luck covering southdown with crushed coral? Does this help prevent the, "milkshake"?
This would kind of defeat the purpose of the SD, no? If something were stirring it up, like a trigger, it wouldn't help. Age and bacteria will help the most... :)

·
Registered
680 Posts
salt creepette

I used the "Bagged Sand" from CaribSea called Arag-Alive (because that's all my LFS had) it worked ok for me! I know that others have said that it don't work, But I had pods and other little critters growing in about a month or so! I used it to seed my SouthDown, In fact I liked the little larger size of the Arag-Alive better than the SD.
I agree with "cyberchef" that CaribSea's "Seaflor Reef Sand" would be better than SD. I think that two inches should be fine to allow a goby room to play! I would just use the Seaflor & get a pound or so of Live Sand to seed it. Also I would add a couple large (flat bottom) pieces of base rock before adding the substrate to make a footing that you can stack the LR on. This way the goby can't did holes under the LR that could cause the rock work to fall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts