The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! I'm new to this forum (but not to fish keeping) and I need some shark info. I have a 700 gal, 30" tall x 8' round indoor pond that I used to keep arowanas in. After an unfortunate accident involving a single gap in the lid, I decided to consider turning it saltwater and keeping some sharks. I did my research, but I wanted some other opinions. What fish would you recommend? I was hoping to get to egg raise some, too. I had planned on a few tangs, a few goatfish, possibly an eel, and three catsharks and an epaulette. Does this sound suitable? What do you recommend? Also, what filter would you recommend? While it must be very effective, I'd rather the cheaper alternative, so DIY is not out of the question. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

· Captain Obvious
1,190 Posts
Also, what filter would you recommend?
my opinion is a 700g tank housing sharks and other fish doesn't need a filter..... but an entire complex filtration system. we are talking commercial grade sort of stuff.

i would think to do this correctly we are talking $5000, $10,000 to build an entire system with proper heating, filtration, lighting.

another opinion of mine, you might be quite disappointed in the fact that this pond is only viewable overhead. fish and sharks will look different and lack color and detail when viewing overhead.

to me, it sounds like a great plan but the end result might be disappointing given the amount of money you will have to invest.

wishing you success.... keep researching and gather as much knowledge as you can.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks. I had one idea. A while back a friend of mine had a 180 with small catsharks in it. It's a custom built tank with a filter that's well over 150 gallons. He gave it to me when his shop closed down. Could I use that as a giant filter and refugium? And if I do use that, I could also raise the small shark in there and move them once they're big enough and eating well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.