The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone i have a reef aquarium still in the early stages [ around four months]... my skimmer is not working so since i have to buy a new one i want to make a sump... any advice on how to make it easily... i'm not to good at following complex instructions And reading between the lines so please make it as easy as possible... but i still want it to be a nice one that will last a long time, since i'mstill a beginner i do not think i will put a refugium but i'm open to ideas... i don't think i am going to put anything in my tank that needs a refuge...

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Take your time, keep it simple. Give yourself as much as a "footprint" in the sump as possible (more space for skimmers, heater, etc).

No need for a fuge.

Any particular design you have in mind?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think i will do a ten or twenty gallon tank because i already have them... I am not sure I will have enough room for the twenty gallon tank in my Closet underneath the tank but I will try because I will have more room in there just in case I want to add anything else to the sump... I want to put a new skimmer and put my heater and filter... but i'm still reading up on it so i'm not sure yet what else goes in it i know there had to be about three different Chambers what do you think i should do... how does the heater heat up the whole tank if there is so little water in the sump i know the water travels through it but will it really be efficient in the sump

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
You can have as little as 1 baffle and two chambers... do not feel like you have to have three... you only need as many as you want. I have a single 10g unbaffled tank as my sump due to space issue. A Tunze ATO keeps my level constant.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Thanks to FutureDoc's advice when I was setting up my tank, I have a 20 long sump with two chambers. Skimmer and return with a heater, thats it. I try to follow the K-I-S-S method.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts