The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a quick answer because I'm getting some shrooms from a local clubmember on Sat morning. he is cutting 5 shrooms from from his tank and I have ZERO experience with shrooms.....

....if I use the small plastic dixie-cup method (where you put some rock-rubble in a cup and put one shroom per cup then everything back in the tank for 1week until all shrooms attach) CAN I USE MY CURRENT SUBSTRATE GRAVEL AS MY ROCK-RUBBLE?????

Will the shroom attach itself to my substrate gravel which is like 5-10 millimeters per rock in size? Its fairly "chucky" and oversized gravel

STOCK PHOTO:

·
kid impersonator
3,840 Posts
throw them in a blender and you'll get a lot more than 5 (jk)

they should attach to anything if the current doesn't blow them around

·
11,345 Posts
That will work fine, although it wont be heavy enough to hold them where you want once they do attach and you want to place them.........so it really wont be doing you much good. I suggest taking a small rock out of your tank and breaking it up so you have some rocks that you can allow them to attach to that wont be easily disturbed......
OR you can just let them attach to your gravel and then they WILL be easier to glue on a rock later............

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fly Guy said:
That will work fine, although it wont be heavy enough to hold them where you want once they do attach and you want to place them.........so it really wont be doing you much good. I suggest taking a small rock out of your tank and breaking it up so you have some rocks that you can allow them to attach to that wont be easily disturbed......
GOOD POINT... I'm glad I asked.... I'm just bummed that my two smallest rocks in my tank are completely covered with coraline....I just hate to bust one of them up....then again the busting-up may help spread coraline thru-out the tank.

I'm just wrestling with what to do:

1) bust-up a good looking coraline rock (about the size of a tennis ball) -or-
2) go to the LFS and buy some small ugly looking rock to hammer away at.

·
11,345 Posts
I actually wont hesitate to break one of my prettiest rocks up for frags. Makes it so wherever you place it it will blend right in like it had always been there. You can take a drill to help make sure it breaks where you wnat and while youre at it might as well just make 10 or 15 beautiful little frag rocks for the corals you undoubtedly will buy in the future. Then you will be prepared next time, AND they wont be fresh breaks......

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
oh yes, shrooms will attach to shells! Shrooms are easy, you'll love them.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
See if the LFS sells "rubble". I get mine for $1/lb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts