The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to the forums but ive been keeping reefs for almost three years now and while i was on vacation my tank crashed and alot of things died :bawling:
so i cleaned out the tank and everythings good now. i have a biocube 14 and ive been getting corals and new fish. my starfish survived so i dont need another starfish. i was wondering what you guys would recommend for a cleaner crew. my old cleaner crew didnt really help so i want to know what you guys think.how many of each should i get? i was thinking on getting this:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=420+2791+1368&pcatid=1368

is that just enough?:agree: or is it overkill?:peeved:

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Let start with what fish and how many you have in you biocube 14 but I will say that is to many shrimp and crabs. Also arrow crabs are opertunistic feeder really most crabs and shrimp and might take a fish if it could get it

and what is you maintenance routine like

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let start with what fish and how many you have in you biocube 14 but I will say that is to many shrimp and crabs. Also arrow crabs are opertunistic feeder really most crabs and shrimp and might take a fish if it could get it

and what is you maintenance routine like
15 percent water change every week and dose calcium, magnesium, strontium, and iodine as needed on a daily bases. i have 16 pounds of live rock and i believe 3 pounds of live sand (deep sand bed). i have a big ocellaris clown and sadly a yellow tang (wanted by the tang police) ik big mistake i didnt know much about them when i got him and the pet store told me he would be fine and when i realized it turned out i couldnt bring him back :( and i plan on getting a sixline wrasse and MAYBE a black axil chromis but i think thats overkill on the bioload cuz of the yellow tang. also got some corals

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Please try and find a new home for the yellow tang he needs a tank almost 10 time yor.

also the tang alone has far surpassed you bioload.

In a 14 gal 2 fish is probably your max your clown and a small goby is it for fish. Then find some cool inverts you like

·
Registered
960 Posts
Really think youd feel better and have alot more possibilities for future fish in your tank if you sell or trade your yellow tang

Florida has lots of reefers with tanks, you can always sell to your lfs
Its amazing hes lasted this long in your small tank, youve obviously taken good care of him, but if hes growing, you know how this will end

I like cerith snails for cleanup crew, you can even get a blenny for algae help and a fresh face in your tank

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really think youd feel better and have alot more possibilities for future fish in your tank if you sell or trade your yellow tang

Florida has lots of reefers with tanks, you can always sell to your lfs
Its amazing hes lasted this long in your small tank, youve obviously taken good care of him, but if hes growing, you know how this will end

I like cerith snails for cleanup crew, you can even get a blenny for algae help and a fresh face in your tank
thanks for the advice! most people would be mad at the reality but your absolutely right its just... im sure you understand when you get a strong bond with a pet and he has such a personality! i know the dark future if i keep him in there. but i dont think i'll need to or be able to give him up
cuz i might get a 60 gallon!
and thanks i have been really looking after him, since the conditions were far from ideal, i made sure meanwhile he at least has the best food and alot of things to keep him busy. i cant wait for my bigger tank so the tang police wont be chasing me XD

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
flame please read what I posted in the thread you were talking to love in, its no wonder your tank crashed while you were away from what you posted in there. please again, read reefkeeping made easy in my sig. your tank will have a much high rate of not crashing if you follow our advice.
i know your trying to help but the reason it crashed was because the water level got too low for the wet/dry filter and it started to make a huge amount of bubbles causing not only an immense amount of stress killing the fish, but also since the water level was too low it couldnt filter the water so everything got accumulated and the corals werent able to get any light since the bubbles were covering them which caused them to die. but id love to read your advice! :agree:

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
That CUC is way overkill. Get a few snails from www.reefcleaners.org. I'd suggest (roughly) 10 ceriths, 5-7 nassarius, 20 dwarf ceriths, and 5 nerites. I don't like crabs because I have seen them pick at corals one too many times. More than one peppermint shrimp in that tank would likely fight to the death and you'd end up with one. Maybe try a cleaner shrimp, blood red fire shrimp, or coral banded shrimp instead. The coral banded is a killer though, and that would definitely kill another shrimp.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That CUC is way overkill. Get a few snails from www.reefcleaners.org. I'd suggest (roughly) 10 ceriths, 5-7 nassarius, 20 dwarf ceriths, and 5 nerites. I don't like crabs because I have seen them pick at corals one too many times. More than one peppermint shrimp in that tank would likely fight to the death and you'd end up with one. Maybe try a cleaner shrimp, blood red fire shrimp, or coral banded shrimp instead. The coral banded is a killer though, and that would definitely kill another shrimp.
thanks for the advics, yea i was thinking it was overkill so ill get what you suggested and two cleaner shrimp And some dwarf hermits and two scarlet hermits, and an emerald crab. but what im worried about is i have brittle banded sea star (not the green one) and maybe it would eat my cleaner shrimp? i mean could they? from what ive heard as long as the cleaner is a good size the star cant get it. the star's head/core is only an inch long.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts