The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hawkfish are a natural predator of bristle worms. Be careful because in using natural predation you may eliminate all the bristle worms.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I put a six-line wrasse in my small tank for Bworm control. I still have many of the great big worms, we're talking 4-8 inches, but the smaller worms are now at an acceptable level. They used to come boiling out at feeding time and I've always wondered if the bristle worms didn't wipe out my colonies of spaghetti worms.

I think a six-line wrasse is probably a little friendlier than an Arrow crab.

------------------
Reefkeeping is my life; I can't afford a hobby too!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to get a natural predator(reef safe) to lower my bristle worm population. I hear arrow crabs work are these reef safe? what about butterflies are these fish reef safe? anyhow let me know-- iam looking for blue or yellow mushrooms-- I can trade watermelon mushrooms and reds with blue dots-- let me know thanks again H.sosa

·
Registered
2 Posts
when I had my 140 gal reef I had a psuedo flavivertex(sunshine basslet) ,which did a great job of maintaining the bristleworm population.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Oh, don't get me wrong; I like bristle worms!
It's just that my tank was turning into a bristle worm tank! There were just tons of them. I still have plenty

------------------

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yes arrow crabs will eat them but the will also eat just about anything else to that is small enough mainly small tube worms. I have seen them go after shrimp to.

Dave

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
I think I could prolly dig you out a few Doug, lol. How bout a couple of the big 8"ers; you could just chop them into a couple of pieces and have lots

------------------

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Hmmmmm... "big 8 inchers....", Hmmmm... ANYWAY, many of the wrasses that use their teeth to turn over structure (orchids, clown coris, coris, etc) will control BW populations without decimating the total population IF the tank is large enough, anything less than 30 gal (about 3.5 sq feet of bottom) will prolly be devoid of BW if you introduce a predator. Having LR helps, as few fish can move the larger pieces of LR... (heh heh heh)

------------------
Tom <"{{{{>(
(TDWyatt)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -Plato

1 - 13 of 13 Posts