The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im new to this group and new to reefing and it's been an incredible journey so far learning all about this mini ecosystem we now have in our living room.

We have a 39 gallon nano reef tank. We live in Northern California in Wine Country where we are prone to wildfires and subsequent power outages. Last year we had outages that lasted for more than a week! Thankfully we haven't haven't into problems yet but we definitely want to be prepared for any future ones.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips in maintaining water parameters when there is no power? We will be purchasing some small battery packs and are in the market for generators but is there an order of operations in what we should focus on? Oxygen levels, water quality, heat and light? I appreciate any guidance you guys can offer 馃グ

Thanks!

Registered
Water circulation and heat if the temperature is low.
Good surface agitation will keep the tank oxygenated and corals will do fine in lower light for a while.

Premium Member
Hello and welcome to TRT!

I live in south Louisiana and deal with disasters more then I like, we just had hurricane Ida hit us and was out of power for a week,,
Here are a few tips, buy an generator, one that can maintain at least 6500 watts and initial start up of about 8500. Can be had for under a grand, cheaper used,
I imagine in California you will deal with heat during fire season, you can place some water jugs and bottles in the freezer to place in tank if temp getting higher then about 83 or 84.
Generator will save your food and run enough to make it very manageable. Even run a small window unit. We ran 3 window units.
the only downfall is gas and the price of gas. You don鈥檛 have to run 24 hours, we do but it gets really hot and humid.
I hope this helps

Shark..but a friendly one
Welcome to TRT Saharai! THIS is an awesome thread.....hope to see a ton of suggestions! Good suggestions already rolling in.... 馃憤
Got company at the moment, then you'll be stuck with me.
Hack

Shark..but a friendly one
A few 'old school' tips to throw out here before the generator shows up......

When power goes out.....
1/ Circulation.....A pan of water turned over in the tank every time you walk by will greatly help.

2/ Heat.....Wrap your tank in a blanket, and place 'hand warmers' between the glass and blanket.

3/ Cooling......Like Vinnie said......put some frozen bottle of water in your tank......zip-lock bags of ice....("As long as it doesn't last too long and your ice cube trays go empty.....then a trip to the closest store becomes an option.")

4/ Lighting .....Reefs in nature will go days without sun when a typhoon rolls over it. Sun light from a window would be a great back up.

Just some stray thoughts that have been tested tried n true over the years.
Hack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts