The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got myself a M.I. Blue Maxima. Ive wanted another Clam since mine suddenly died a few months back.

He just arrived today and went through his acclimation, I put in a few corals and a few fish so the LED's are off and hes the second to last to go in. As im situating my new Feather Duster, I look over at my clam and hes getting swarmed by Nassarius snails! I quickly get them off of my new clam and see them all swarm to the next place that I set him... Set him on the rocks they swarm him.. Is he dead or are the snails being jerks?

I did see one of my arrow shrimp cleaning inside him.

I moved him to my sump/ref for the time being.

Any advice?

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have no experience with big clams, but i have never seen a nasarius snail trying to eat anything alive.

Must be some way to check if the clam is alive without hurting it

suppose there's a chance the snails were jut cleaning some crap off of it much like my peppermint shrimps do when i acclimate any new rock or coral. I know snails and shrimps are not evenly remotely related but not everything follows the rules of their species.

Is it definately alive? and how long have the snails been swarming it, if they leave it alone with 24hours then its probably the snails just cleaning some crap from it.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Is the clam gaping or will not close? If so, then its dead or dying.

And you may have whelks, not nassarius snails. Whelks will eat living things, where nassarius only eat dead things.
Whelks can be confused as narrissis easily. They even home in on other snails sometimes. Otherwise I would lean toward dying clam as well.

Do the snails have trunks they use to get food?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, they have trunks. And the Clam was dead :( kida bummed that I took there free meal away from them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had what I thought was a nasarrius and was actually a whelk. My clam lasted less than 24 hrs. A whelk has a trap door to close itself inside of its shell and a nasarrius has no trap door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts