The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't tell whats happening here. Do nassarius mate before laying eggs? Today I came across five snails piled on top of another one. I thought it was dead and they were eating him but I poked it to check and it recoiled further in the shell. It has not moved all day but I've gone back to check several times and its still moving a little. The other snails have left it alone for the most part but after feeding they went back and piled on again. It looks like they're reaching in the shell to pull it out maybe. Sorry the pick doesn't show too clearly but you should get the jist.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He was a valiant servant of the reef. Kept my sand nice and clean... may he rest in peace.

Anyone have an idea what may have killed him? A couple of weeks ago I added a purple fire fish, pulsing xenia frag and gsp colony. I feed 1/4 frozen mysid cube a day and before that all I had was the clean up crew. I have a diatom bloom right now due to silicates so there should have been plenty of food. I did a 10% water change a few days ago and all tests are within limits. Should I remove the shell?

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
I usually dig the snail meat out and put the shell back in. It adds interest or hermit houses Do you have hermits? they have been known to poach a snail but usually eat them. It could be anything. Snails are not super hearty or long lived. Remember they breed by the hundred in the wild, replacing losses quickly. One snail is usually not a bad sign. Test your salinity and other params which you said was in line. thats all you can really do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts