The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all!:wavey:

It has been a while since I landed on the forum but Im excited to be back! I was building up a tank before my daughter Naomi Was born. Well That was back 2012 and as it goes life got busy and the tank fell by the wayside. The old thread is HERE I gave away most of my Reefing equipment:doh:

Imagine my regret when my now 2 year old asked me for a "fish tank".....did I say regret?......I meant excitement:dance: I mean lets be realistic....Its just as much mine.

I wasted no time in looking for a tank and decided on a
JBJ 6 gallon LED Nanocube. It will likely go on top of here dresser or nightstand by her bed. I figured the Nanocube would be perfect since it simplifies the setup and has a hood to discourage toddler fingers from getting into the tank:D

Since the tank doesnt get here until Tuesday I dont have any Pics of it but here is a shot of some live rock I have to go through to find the best pieces for aquascaping such a small tank.....Im thinking about 8-10lbs or so

Naomis live rock.jpg

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
Sweet... what is your plans for stocking this tank... considering the size of this tank inverts and the smaller of the gobies would be the only suited candidates. This maybe to small for a clownfish considering you will probably only have around almost 4 gallons of accual water volume.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet... what is your plans for stocking this tank... considering the size of this tank inverts and the smaller of the gobies would be the only suited candidates. This maybe to small for a clownfish considering you will probably only have around almost 4 gallons of accual water volume.
Ya I was going to do some researching on the web and the more nano specific forums to see if anyone has successfully kept a clown in one......I cant find the actual display dimensions online but Ill cross that bridge when I get there......I know My daughter would love a clown but if not She will be happy with a Geometric pygmy Anthias and some cleaner shrimp.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had some questions about the tank so I called JBJ and they were able to answer them(great customer service by the way) any suggestions on wether or not an Occy will be ok in here? Id like at least one fish and a skunk cleaner shrimp or two. As far as corals I think it should be able to do any soft coral and some LPS....what do you guys think?

lighting info is scarce on this one....They say that it has 6x 1.3w LEDs and the info i found tells me that its equivalent to somewhere between 40-50watts

JBJ 6 gallon nanocube display and filtration dimensions

Display area: 12"w X 10.5"l X 12"h
total volume: 4.5 gallons

Filtration area: 12"w X 3"l X 12"h
(width is equally divided into three separate 4" compartments)
total volume: 1.5 gallons

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOOP!!! The tank came in and I gotta say I'm impressed with it. I've never owned an all in one cube system and I like it.....you guys have any advice as to how to run te filtration? Pics when I get out of class today

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My daughter was so excited when the tank arrived we didn't waste any time....we got out some of the Live rock I have and put the rock scape mostly together...... I haven't ever owned a tank so small so I was unaccustomed to how difficult it is to work in there. It need a little tweaking here and there but close enough for now. What do you guys think about rock lifts? Should I be using them? Its about 6-7 pounds of live rock.

Here Are your classic blurry tank shots :)
IMG_1723.JPG

FTS.jpg

backed up FTS.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Does the tank have any built in equipment? Or are you looking for advice on a good filter for the cube? I have a 5.5 gallon tank myself. Well technically I have two but one is for pods, so it's not really a dt. I keep dwarf seahorses in my tank. I have only 4 lbs of live rock in there, and macro ferns. I also have a couple nano whips in there.
I have read that a small ocellarus clown fish can live in a small tank that size. I have even read of people keeping them in 3 gallon tanks. I think that's a bit over the top, but if you get a real small one it would be okay in there.
A little over a month ago I had a crash and had to put my 4 clowns, puffer and 3 firefish in my pod tank for about 2 weeks. They weren't happy. I ended up keeping the one pair in there after that for a while, and they didn't mind at all.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
A 6g is very small for a clown. I think you could get away with a small one for a short period of time but not long term. Remember that keeping something alive isn't a sign of success - clowns should live very long lives (one member here has had his clowns for 20 years!) so you should aim for the long term health of your animal. My boyfriend kept a clown in 6g tank for a little less than a year and it was very obvious when he was moved to a larger tank that it had stunted his growth - he was much more active (though he had some trouble swimming and getting used to the flow) and grew more normally when moved to a properly sized tank. That sized tank would be best for an invert/coral tank - hermits, shrimp, snails and crabs might be fun and interesting to your daughter. If a fish is a must I'd either plan on an upgrade in the near future or stick to something very small and undemanding of space like a goby - yasha, Randalls and high fin gobies are all cool little fish that pair up with a pistol shrimp for a fun to watch duo.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
I have kept gobies in small tanks before. I would not suggest a clown, or damsels. long term. you should do a goby/pistol shrimp combination, and about 5-6 hermits.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does the tank have any built in equipment? Or are you looking for advice on a good filter for the cube?
Ya the tank has a built in filtration system. It uses 3 compartments. The first being a 12" long sponge for debris, The second has a bag of ceramic media/Carbon/and a handfull of bioballs, and third the return pump/heater.

I know a lot of you bio-cube guys modify and change up the filtration. Im looking for a simplified rendition of what is provided. I feel like there is way to many places to trap detritus with the original setup.

As for the clown.....I did some more research and came back here to find that ChiWing had already suggested what my research showed. So my daughter and I had a talk and i think she gets that we cant have one...Well as much as a 2 year old can get these things. Im digging the Goby/pistol shrimp pair idea but I have to see if you need a sand bed since my tank is currently BB

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well we are on our way!
ammonia.jpg

Im thinking of adding a bag of live sand for a goby/pistol shrimp pair....I guess I need to decide quick though because I think I might cause a cycle if I add Live sand with a clean up crew and inverts in there already...

any other suggestions on a fish for the tank?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
My favorite fish out of any of my tanks is my yellow clown goby. They stay tiny and like perching on various corals more than swimming so don't need tons of room. If you go that route make sure to see it eat before purchase though - there are lots of reports of them starving because they refuse to eat.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My favorite fish out of any of my tanks is my yellow clown goby. They stay tiny and like perching on various corals more than swimming so don't need tons of room. If you go that route make sure to see it eat before purchase though - there are lots of reports of them starving because they refuse to eat.
I had my eye on the yellow clown goby but do they pair with shrimp or do I need somthing like a watchman?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
The yellow clown goby doesn't pair with a shrimp - they stick to the rockwork and corals. I was thinking that might work if you decided you didn't want to put the sand in your tank for the pistol.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The yellow clown goby doesn't pair with a shrimp - they stick to the rockwork and corals. I was thinking that might work if you decided you didn't want to put the sand in your tank for the pistol.
Ya we were both thinking that:thumbup:

I think I do want a pistol shrimp goby pair but Im worried about them never finding each other. I have read coultess threads where people get both and they wont pair up. then I would have a sand bed......and no pair:rolleyes:
any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
I have a pair in three different tanks, all bought separately, and they've always found each other - and there's not a lot of real estate in a 6g for them to hide from each other. :p Sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it takes a few days, sometimes a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
there's not a lot of real estate in a 6g for them to hide from each other. :p
HAHAHAHA this is true, that makes me feel better about it

Ill mull it over and show my daughter some pics on the Ipad to see what she favors. in the meantime I think Im done playing with my rockscape:lol:everytime I setup a tank I cant seem to leave it alone until I move a million time, I also siphoned out some of the sand and rubble that came off the rock during the moving(added the water back into the filter pad to keep the cycle going)......any Idea how to take less "blue" pics....these LED lights shimmer great but I cant seem to get a good picture.

FTS
FullSizeRender.jpg

Left Side
left side.jpg

Right Side
right side.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Looks good! Lots of hidey holes and levels for corals. :thumbup: Wish I could tell you how to get better pics with the blues on - I have to turn mine way down to get a decent pic.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks good! Lots of hidey holes and levels for corals. :thumbup: Wish I could tell you how to get better pics with the blues on - I have to turn mine way down to get a decent pic.
Thanks that's what I was going for. I wish I could turn mine down but they are dedicated to one intensity. There was a member in here who took the most amazing pictures....I'll have to see if I can find him.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts