The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ARC meeting on lighting got me thinking about upgrading my stock lighting in my 24 gallon Nanocube DX, which currently runs 2X 36W combo 10K/actinic PC's. I'm thinking about stuffing a 70W HQI metal halide in there. Several people have done this on the nano-reef.com forums, so I'll have help in terms of resolving heat issues and such.

So to my question, for those of you with nano-tanks or frag tanks, what kind of lighting are you running?

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a 7.8 gallon tank that is running a 70Watt halide. I love it. Everything in the tank, SPS, LPS, Softies, Zoos, Shrooms, it all thrives.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would prefer to add T5's over the MH, but haven't found any short enough (<16 inches) to stuff into my hood. :(

BTW, I'm keeping all softies in my tank, although I did get two small montipora frags from Webdr that seem to be doing fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
799 Posts
You are really limited by the tank your keeping them in. That said you could always add more PC to it. With what your keeping you really don't need to go crazy. You can fit another 36 under there.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Here are a few shots of my 7 gallon minibow with a 10k 70watt halide and 2 X 32 watt actinic pc's shoved under the hood. I also had to install a fan, a minichiller, and an auto topoff system to make up for high temps and evaporation. I sold the tank when I got my 110 gallon a while back, but kept the corals til I sold that tank (so some of you may recognize those corals in you own tanks!)

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Milhouse - Yeah, real estate in the NC hoods are at a premium. That's why I want to add something more powerful than PC to it. Also, my zoos seem to lose their color intesity after a while in my tank. I'm wanting to add more light, maybe 14K bulb, to make the colors pop.

Jessezm - Love that cup coral. Always been a fan of those for some reason. I have one currently the size of a quarter.

·
Registered
395 Posts
my nano is 5g and has 26 watts of pc. that gives me 5 watts per gallon which is enough for softies so im happy :beer:

·
Registered
874 Posts
very nice tank amuruges! Is that a pink birdsnest I see up there? Wanna frag a piece?

I have a 10K 70W MH HQI over my 10g and I love it, kinda wish i went with the 150, who knows, maybe I'll upgrade.

·
Registered
51 Posts
GLXTRIX said:
very nice tank amuruges! Is that a pink birdsnest I see up there? Wanna frag a piece?
Tks, It was sold as green birdsnest with pink polyps.... Here are 2 pics from different tanks... I have tons of those, I will be happy to get you a frag.... You can either comeby or wait for the next meeting... LMK.

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
My 12 JBJ Nano has 1x70watt MH 10K + 2x24watt 50/50 power compacts + 2 moon lights.

It just so happens I have an IceProbe Nano Chiller for sale. Used for less than one month still 100% perfect. Comes with a controller, box and manuals. All you need to chill a nano cube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts