The Reef Tank banner
2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  husky_1 
#1 ·
Ok, with the upcoming nano build off, I have started to think about what kind of fish and clean up crews I want to keep. I figured I would ask you, the expert on your suggestions.

First of all, my goal with the 10g is to have a sumpless design that has smooth flowing lines. Basically, I do not want the inside of the tank to be cluttered with powerheads, nor do I want HOB or skimmers that come over the top of the water line. So I think to run a succesful nano, without skimmers, I will have to really pick me bioload carefully.

So what is everyone's suggestion for fish and inverts. I do not want to have any fish that does not have a purpose. For instance, I think firefish are cool nano fish, but I am not sure they serve a purpose other than aesthetics.

I was thinking 2 fish would be my fish load
I will be running sand in this tank, so I was thinking a nice small fish that mixes up the sand would be nice. The only thing is, since its a 10g what would do a good job, but could also be fed other stuff so it did not starve.
Engineer gobies are great but may cause too much havoc, so then I was thinking about a 2 spot goby. Any other good ideas?

For the second fish, I was thinking a blenny since they eat algae, but then we would have no fish that swim in the open water. What is a good, small herbivore that swims in the open?

As for a clean up crew, in your opinion, what is the optimum clean up crew size? I do not believe 1:1, water:critter. I want want I was thinking that I could start with the following:
A couple of nassarius would be good for the sand
A couple of Florida grazers/turbos would be good for the rocks and walls
A couple blue legged hermits to round out the bunch.
1 shrimp of some sort for detritus (I think they eat it, but please correct me if I am wrong)

I could always add more if they cannot handle the bioload.
Of course, corals will be added as well :)

I really appreciate your help.
Dale

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry, I should have specified that I will be using the Tunuze Nano filter, that give 200gph. Hopefully that will be enough if I strategically place the output..

If not, another plan will have to be devised.

The idea of the goby pistol shrimp sounds nice. I will have to look into it.

-Dale

#4 ·
I was just given a Yashi goby and Randall Pistol shrimp

they are tiny and very cute.

I also LOVE clown gobies citron, yellow, green panda - they come in a few colors, and the sexy shrimp yeah those are too cute too.

purple firefish... always pretty

wow - I just gave you like the girl tank list -
ya might as well stick purple sand in there LOL!

#6 ·
Well, the tank is "my wifes" by that, I mean that I still do all the work, but give her more say in the overall direction...unfortunately every one of the

YLchik, thanks for the suggestions, but they are all carnivores and I don't think they are sand sifters. I really need herbivores or sandsifters.

#8 ·
Thanks Dobejazz, I really appreciate the suggestios. That Hectors seems like a great candidate since it sifts sand and eats algae...I did a little reading, after you suggestion, on the rainsford and it seems like keeping those are like trying to keep mandarins, they need a ton of copecods, which I am not sure my 10g could provide.

If I do decide to pair a shrimp, the yellowwatchmen is a good candidate.

Thanks again,
Dale

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.