The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For some time the Board of Directors has thought about SIG's (Special Interest Groups).

It seems we have a few Nano reefers and a Nano SIG would be a great place to start especially since I now have a nano and I am on the BOD.

So with that thought in mind please everyone with a Nano make a short post about your setup (hardware and livestock).

Also would you be interested in a special Nano SIG meeting from time to time so we can all share our Nano's amongst ourselves ??

Also If you are seriously considering starting up a Nano in the near future please post also.

This is mainly to get an idea if we have enough Nano reefers to start a SIG and if there is any interest in a Nano SIG.

If you would like to --- post a general pic of your Nano but lets keep it to one pic per Nano for this thread.

Charles

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I'll start out.

7 gal AGA Minibow.
2 x 28 watt 50/50 PC's in custom canopy
AquaClear 200 HOB
50 Watt heater

1 1/2" SD sand
approx 10 lbs. LR
a bunch of corals

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
10 gallon
150 watt HQI 20K Ushio
2 200 GPH powerheads
Excalibur Protein skimmer
2" Southdown
Maybe 15 lbs live rock?
1 green maxima
1 squamosa
1 montipora digitata
1 blue/brown acro
some polyps
some GSP

See my other post for some pics.

c_k_kuehne: I wish I had that many SPS frags but they cost MONEY!MONEY!MONEY!

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
Here's mine! First reef tank

10 gallon rectangular
96 watt Coralife Quad 50/50 hood
50W Ebojagr heater
Rio 90 and 50 powerheads
20 LBS Kaelini LR from Dr. Mac & Sons
10 LBS LS from Dr. Mac & Sons
Instant Ocean Salt Mix
Ozonated DI Water from Publix by the gallon

My tank is about 3 or 4 weeks old now, it cycled in no time whatsoever I think my LR was very Pre cured.

Inhabitants so far:

2 Blue Legged Hermits
2 Scarlet Legged Hermits
2 Bumblebee Snails
1 Emerald Crab

I have added these guys to battle my hella hair algae. It's killin me. Here are some pics!!!

ps - I would love to have nano-reef meetings. I am excited about the upcoming July meeting. It will be my first!

Bill

Not sure what this is... Some kind of Polyp perhaps...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I am sure all yall know about my nano too..

It is a 6 gallon eclipse with 3x13 watts of PC lighting. It has been set up now for about 2 months and everything is doing just fine!!!

Pictures can be seen by clicking on my signature at the bottom.

Just tell me where and when we would have a nano meeting. If we decided to have it when I am home it could possible be at my house. I am in Norcross.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Okay heres what i have so far:

- 10 gallon Nano
- 2 Aquaclear 201 powerheads
- Small Carbon Filter (non-biowheel, cant remember name)
- Coralife Aqualight 1x96w

13 pounds LiveRock (a little more to come soon)
2 Red Leg Hermits
1 Peppermint shrimp

Future Purchases:
Percula Clown Soon To Come
BubbleTip anenome withing the next few months after tank gets established

Pic Available here

·
Registered
132 Posts
Billdemart:

Do those Rio powerheads that you use not have an air tube that has to hang out? If so im going to have to get a couple of those. I hate the way my aquaclears have those ugly airtubes that stick out the top.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes 5 of us so far. Will let this tread run for a few more days and see how many nano's we end up with.

I'm thinking of a nano meeting on a weekend at a nano reefers house (William's or who evers).

We could also combine this w/ a group outing/purchasing adventure at a LFS where we could frag what we buy so everyone gets a piece and nobody has to spend a fortune.

I also might be able to talk one of the bigger reefers into letting us come over to their house and group purchase a few frags for $5 - $10 per frag.

I do think we could get all our Nano's stocked w/ corals and not have to spend a fortune.

I will contact everyone via PM or e-mail sometime next week and we'll see what we can do w/ this Nano SIG idea.

Charles

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bamann365...William

:beer: Super looking nano. When I get ready to convert my childs water only :D tank into a nano, I know who to call! All his fish died but we are running a crystal clear night light in his room!:D

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
PufferMatt said:
Billdemart:

Do those Rio powerheads that you use not have an air tube that has to hang out? If so im going to have to get a couple of those. I hate the way my aquaclears have those ugly airtubes that stick out the top.
Nope! No air tubes. It does come with some and a bunch of fixtures but you don't have to use them...

·
Big Fish
117 Posts
c_k_kuehne said:
That makes 5 of us so far. Will let this tread run for a few more days and see how many nano's we end up with.

I'm thinking of a nano meeting on a weekend at a nano reefers house (William's or who evers).

We could also combine this w/ a group outing/purchasing adventure at a LFS where we could frag what we buy so everyone gets a piece and nobody has to spend a fortune.

I also might be able to talk one of the bigger reefers into letting us come over to their house and group purchase a few frags for $5 - $10 per frag.

I do think we could get all our Nano's stocked w/ corals and not have to spend a fortune.

I will contact everyone via PM or e-mail sometime next week and we'll see what we can do w/ this Nano SIG idea.

Charles
Charles,

That would be very cool. Count me in already. I would like to start stocking my tank but some of the LFS prices are insane. I have talked to Under the wave and they are planning on selling frags once they get their other metal halide light in.

There is a guy on one of the other forums who is giving Xenia and GSP away because they are outgrowing his tank constantly but he lives in D.C. :(

The meetings and LFS outings sound like a great idea. My car can fit 8 people if we need it for the outing!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bill there are many people in ARC that are constantly flushing Xenia and GSP. We can get you as much of that as you want no problem.

Once we get this Nano SIG all together I'll make some arangements and we'll see about getting everyone some corals for cheap.

I was looking through my old photo box and came across some pics of a 10 gal temperate Nano I had back in the very early 90's. I though you all might like to see it. There was only one good pic so here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some people sell it back to the LFS and some just have so much extra they actually flush it down the toilet.

Xenia is actually a plague in most peoples tanks.

I have some in my Nano --- I'm going to manually keep it contained to one small corner. In a matter of approx 2 weeks it has attached and gone from 2 stalks and split into 4 stalks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oooo, oooo......me too, me too!!!

Personally, I think $35 for a 2" square piece of GSP or Xenia is crazy!!! Love my LFS but.....c'mon:eek:

Nicole

·
Registered
637 Posts
Charles, I am leaving to go to Nova Scotia for 2 weeks on the 8th of July, I will be back on the 22rd or 23rd. I think it would be possible to have the nano meeting over at my place on sat. the 26th or maybe even sunday the 27th, please noone shoot me for saying sunday! I am looking forward to getting this thing going!!

That will give people a couple of weeks to see if they want to come and let you say something about it at the next reef club meeting.

Let me know.

William Mann

·
Registered
637 Posts
The dates I gave were just when I could have it at my place...if they arent good it can be held somewhere else. This thing was Charles's idea so he needs to tell us when and where!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is really all about us not me. Whenever is best for the most people would be my choice.

So far Sunday the 27th sounds like it would work for 3 of us. Any of the LFS I would want to go to are open on Sunday.

If we all decide on Sunday the 27th we would need to come up with a time say around 12:00 pm or 1:00 pm. That would give us ample time to go to a LFS or another reefers house. Once decided I will make arrangements at the LFS or where ever so hopefully we can get an extra good deal on some break off pieces.

There is also someone down here in Macon where I could go by and pick up a few frags from on the way. All we would need to do is purchase him a bag of salt. I'm sure he would give me enough for everyone to get one or two frags for that bag of salt.

MantisShrimp and Nishant both have Nano's and both are around 14 years old. We might try and have someone round them up and bring them if they are interested in attending.

Charles

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.