The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

So I'm continuing to go back and forth on what I want to get for my 20gal. nano tank. I'm looking at getting a Warty Frogfish but saw a small Zebra Eel the other day and about died.

The LFS said that a small one could work in my 20gal tank provided it has a place to hide (it's about 6" long). There are several places.

Researching online I've found that it others have raised eels in 20gal tanks and they seemed to do quite well and the eels were pretty happy.

Any advice on a eel? I've been told that a Garden Eel would be the best fit, but a small zebra or snowflake would also be happy.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Definitely wouldn't do a garden eel. They need a TON of sand and space - I wouldn't put one in anything under 50 gallons with about 10 inches of sand. Snowflake eels get about 2' and zebra's 5' - neither would be a good fit for a nano in my opinion. They grow quickly and won't eat if stressed - which a small space could do. I feel you though, my LFS has a snowflake that's about 5" and I'd love to take him home, I don't have a tank for him where he wouldn't eat all my tiny fish though. :p

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Nothing wrong with that, frogfish are awesome! I'm too soft hearted to feed live food or else I'd have one myself.

·
Mushroom Coral Fanatic
979 Posts
Have you heard of the golden dwarf moray eel? By far the coolest eel and stay tiny. Pricy, but worth it. I'd check into one of those. That said, I wouldn't get one as a total noob. Make sure you do plenty of research before dropping that much cash on one. Wii65brawl has had one and could probably answer any other questions.

·
Premium Member
6,340 Posts
Have you heard of the golden dwarf moray eel? By far the coolest eel and stay tiny. Pricy, but worth it. I'd check into one of those. That said, I wouldn't get one as a total noob. Make sure you do plenty of research before dropping that much cash on one. Wii65brawl has had one and could probably answer any other questions.
If you get one AK, you couldn't have any that fish. Eels are messy. I lost mine almost a month ago and I'm still having algae troubles from his excessive feeding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts