The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to start setting up a nano reef in a 29 biocube next week. I'm going to be making my own live rock so I doubt I'll be able to add anything for at least a month, and then take things slow. However, I do want to plan well ahead of time what to add to ensure everyone will get along.

My girlfriend and I both want to have a pair of clownfish with a host anemone. Not for breeding purposes of course, but just for the fun of having a fishy couple, I guess. Then for myself I would LOVE a flame angel (my all time favourite), but I'm wondering if it would grow to be too large for this system? (Keeping in mind 40 to 45 pounds of live rock set up with lots of caves and tunnels). Then I want my girl to pick one she really likes, but she seems to only like ones that are either too big, too aggressive, or eat corals (e.g. Triggers, puffers, remoras, etc.), so if anyone has any suggestions on a fish that might go well in this tank that looks "weird" I would REALLY appreciate it!

Also I love shrimp. I think they are hilarious and awesome, so if there is a good species for this tank, preferably one that is more than just for aesthetics that would rock! Also need suggestions for sand sifters. I think nassarius snails are good, but I've heard they don't actually sift the sand very well, so suggestions on that would be really helpful.

As for corals, I have some favourites, but there are tons that both my girl and I like, but for a tank this size ones that don't/won't grow very fast would be preferable I think. As for type, softies will be no problem, same with most LPS I think. I'm certain my lights are strong enough for most SPS and clams (see tank specs below), but concerned that water quality may not be consistent enough. Again, check out my specs, but what would be sweet is if anyone could suggest SPS corals that aren't quite as finicky when it comes to water quality and calcium and nutrient demands as the average SPS, in addition to advice on maintaining water quality in a small system and what I can do to provide the necessary elements and nutrients for SPS (I'm going to use reef salt enriched with calcium and stuff, and also willing to spend a little extra for kalkwasser and other additives if my water quality is good and consistent enough). As a final note, I know bleaching is a concern, so if there is no way to mix softies with SPS I would prefer to be geared towards SPS.

I know that's a LOT of information and advice I'm looking for, but any little bit helps, and also please be totally honest.

Tank specs for those interested/concerned:
I've upgraded pretty much everything.
-1 koralia 250, 1 koralia 425 for circulation
-Upgraded water pump (more gph) with circulating nozzle for inconsistent/random water current.
-Replaced stock filter with intank mediabasket complete with filter floss, purigen 100ml, and chemi-pure elite 11.75 oz
-Good protein skimmer (can't remember the type, but it's not the biocube one and it had good customer reviews.
-Gutted the stock lights and replaced them with a bridgelux LED fixture rated as a 250 watt MH replacement with room to add stunner strips and/or moonlights if I want them. If and when it becomes useless for my purposes I'm going to try a DIY build with luxeons rated higher at or higher than a 250 MH.

P.S. It may sound like I'm going into this blind, but I actually have a fair bit of experience and countless hours of research into reef aquariums and nano-reefs, but you never know what information might be out-dated, incorrect, or missing, and I love talking with other hobbyists about it for many reasons. The insight is just far better imho.

P.P.S. When I actually start the project next weekend I'm going to do a vlog of it on youtube and post links to it with a point-by-point blog in the blog section of the forum!

·
Reefelicious
610 Posts
Stocking!

Hey, so i love the flame angels but unfortunately they aren't reef safe so sorry on that one! but you could do some cool things like gobies or blenny's with have awesome personalities. Also a great shrimp are peppermint or a sexy anemone shrimp! Some other fish are certain wrasse's which could be a little small of a fit but they say 29+ is good! So you can do chromes and damsels but you'll have to be careful because of the aggressiveness they have but there is lots of options and i hope it works out great for you! :fish:

·
Reefelicious
610 Posts
Clown gobies can hurts SPS's

Clown Gobies have great personalities but they are secretive coral nippers some don't but most are harmful to SPS corals so some good ones are the yasha shrimp goby, yellow prawn goby, fire fish goby are some of the great reef safe gobies and most of the time you will find they have great personalities which is what it is all about!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I figured Gobies were probably the main species to look at. If I don't end up with a flame angel (I'm more concerned about the tank size than coral nipping - I'm going to be setting up a large reef tank at our companies office that will be up and running by the time I would get it, so if it becomes a problem I have a place to move it to) then I'll probably get a firefish. I love those things. I'll ask my girlfriend to look at gobies and see if there are any she likes. Thanks for the advice so far everyone. Feel free to keep posting if you have any other thoughts or ideas!

·
Reefelicious
610 Posts
Firefish!

Firefish are great fish and very interesting the favored of all the three is the Helfrichi Firefish which are sweet looking little fish and if money wasn't a big problem that one is the best and most interesting. You could look at some nice blennies too which tend to have fantastic personalities and I've only heard good things about them :worm:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a firefish, and having a flame angel in the office tank. I'm here every weekday to enjoy it, and it will just be a much better habitat for the little guy. Now the real trick is finding something for the girl. She likes the duller, more earthy colours of freshwater fish, unless it comes to something that looks bizarre. She loves puffers, boxfish, cowfish, etc., or anything that looks oddly shaped, like triggers; especially the ones she says look like they're wearing lipstick!

·
Reefelicious
610 Posts
Blennies!

Hey if your girlfriend loves down to earth colors there is a good blenny. The lawnmower blenny who is a mixture of dark green, brown, black, and tan! They are said to have awesome personalities but make sure you have copepods in your tank because that will be there primary food but they do eat frozen foods!

·
Reefelicious
610 Posts
You could also do something like all the types of dotty backs or get a pair of clowns which are not very original but are super active and some will even let you feed them by hand! Clowns also come in all different types, true perch, false perch, black ocerllaris, and snowflake clowns. if you didn't have a money problem you could de platinum clowns which are like 200$ easy but are all white with orange fins/head and a pure white body!!!! So whatever you decide to do remember clowns are hardy and always a fun thing to have!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Two other good options you gf might like are the tailspot blenny, which I think is the coolest looking blenny, or a scooter blenny, which is not really a blenny but a dragonet. Tailspots stay smaller and are more peaceful than most blennys, plus they are so cute. Scooters are absolutely adorable imo, if you like like the more subdued fish. Mine is extremely hardy (he has lived through ich, velvet, and brooklynella) and started eating frozen food the day I brought it home. Some people say they need bigger tanks because they are pod eaters like mandarins, but that has not be my experience. I've heard of many who will take frozen food. Bloodworms are a good food to start with because they love them. He also wil literally tip his head to the side and look up at me when I'm above the tank, like chickens and ducks do!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.