4 Blue leg Crabs
3 Scarlet Leg Crabs
3 Nassarius Snails

PH = 8.2
Ammonia = 0.00
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0.0
Ca = 400

I run my lights about 8 hours a day and perform a 2g water change every Saturday. The sump has LR rubble, LS, and macro.

I am not sure why it's growing. i do not run my light too much, my nitrates are at zero, and I do not think I overfeed. i do feed the clowns once a day, but very little. I know I can get some Red Slime remover and that should "cure" my problem, but I want to hit it at the source and I'm having trouble thinking of the source.

Can anyone give me another possible source? I need to buy a phosphate test... :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been going this way for about 2 weeks. I am not positive if something died. I think a snail or two has fallen victim to hermit crabs, but other than that, I think I'm pretty good.

You don't think the death of two snails would do this, do you?

Would you suggest some sort of sandsifter?

·
Registered
720 Posts
Well, when we had our outbreak it lasted a few months and we think it was caused by the death of a fish. (Went missing, never found it.)

I'm still a newbie, but I would imagine in a small tank maybe a few dead snails could fuel it.

I was told to skim a lot, do regular water changes with RO/DI water, cut back on the feedings and siphon the cyano out every time I did a water change. It helped a lot and now we don't have much of a problem.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
do you have a skimmer? i did not see it listed in the discription above. not a big deal if you do not, but you need to be siphoning out detritus whenever you do water changes. without a skimmer it is important to be able to get behind your aquascaping to get to any detritus that can accumulate.

if there is algae, there is phosphates, not necessarily nitrates, but definately phosphates.

G~

·
Registered
176 Posts
I agree with Geoff, the problem is phospates. Specifically if you have photosynthetic cyanobacteria. The reasoning behind this is pretty boring and has to do with electron exchange and fancy sounding molecules such as adenosine triphosphate and adenosine diphosphate.

why do we care?

Dr. Shimek puts it:

" The single most important process occuring in any ecosystem, including marine aquaria"

as he is talking about the electron exchange which can also partly be called photosynthesis.

also

"THE LOW LEVEL OF PHOSPHATE IN NATURAL MARINE SYSTEMS IS THE SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR INHIBITING GROWTH AND REPRODUCTION FOR MANY ORGANISMS".

The conclusion that he draws from this and gives to marine aquarists is:

that the MOST IMPORTANT thing one needs to do to stop growth and reproduction of cyanobacteria is the reduction or elimination of phosphates.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
am I crazy? I really don't see any algae problem in that pic.

I mean...I've always had a slight slight dusting of brown or so on the substrate like you have in that pic. I never worried about it. I actually think, more than anything, it's a slight diatom population...which I thought was normal.

I really don't think ANY action needs taken here. Unless I'm not looking at the pic right.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I've always had a slight slight dusting of brown or so on the substrate like you have in that pic. I never worried about it.
Just looking for reassurance.

Am I the only one that gets this? Now I'm wondering if I have a problem. Anyone else see this?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
sweet. Okay.

I usually see it right around day 12 after a water change. ANd I do my WC's every two weeks, so it's like the tanks way of letting me know..."you got 48 hours buddy! Get on it!"

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
sweet. Okay.

I usually see it right around day 12 after a water change. ANd I do my WC's every two weeks, so it's like the tanks way of letting me know..."you got 48 hours buddy! Get on it!"
:funny: Yea you know your tank well thats great:beer:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm with Skeety on this one....unless this is leading up to something big, it looks pretty minor to me.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Oh - was just going to add that I've tried phosban in similar situations, and never been convinced it did anything.

·
Registered
176 Posts
am I crazy? I really don't see any algae problem in that pic.

I mean...I've always had a slight slight dusting of brown or so on the substrate like you have in that pic. I never worried about it. I actually think, more than anything, it's a slight diatom population...which I thought was normal.

I really don't think ANY action needs taken here. Unless I'm not looking at the pic right.

I do not see any presents of algae as well...maybe the camera is not showing us the picture that Bloke is looking at.

If it where a dusting of algae that did not look "pretty" enough I would just turnover the substrate. You can turn it over by hand or use a siphon to suck some up and turn it over at the same time.

If you feel that it is all over your tank and its exponetial growth is around the corner, It would be comforting to eliminate the phosphates. Minimizing phosphates is ineviatble, if you want that "pristine" look so many aquarists go after.

Or maybe your phosphates are already low, you can not really be sure unless you are testing them. In this case I would listen to skeety and be cautious before making a change in one direction...at the very least you can test for phosphate first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts