The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first saltwater fish ever yesterday! gold head sleeper goby... so obviously i'm trying to find that perfect name for him.

what are some funny/clever names everyone has for their fish here? Doesn't matter what kind, fish, snails, crabs, whatever.

Lets hear some good ones! :beer:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think it all just depends on the person. Most of mine come from TV shows or MMA fighter nick names. Ex. my blenny Steve Irwin, Fedor "the armripper" hermit, my clown nemomoney. I think names are something you have to come up with on your own, based on their character and whatever you like. Itll make it more personal.

·
Registered
788 Posts
well my kids pick the names for our animals includin the fish so ofcourse the little clown is nemo *couldnt talk him out of it* and the bigger is well i cant really say that on here the kids call her meany i have a better word *she bites lol* It is really a personal preffernce. give it time ull come up with something.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
guess i'll just have to get used to their personality and see what comes out

·
Ummm... yeah.
538 Posts
We have yellow tang - Custer (as in General), 2 occilarus clowns - Frank and Jessie (James), 2 green chromis - big Fred and little Fred, Coral-banded shrimp - Big Bertha, hermits - The Hole In The Wall Gang, 2 emerald crabs - Wild Bill and little wild Bill, Squamosa clam - Sammie, fighting conch - Connie, skunk clown - Pepe. I think that's all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yes, we name our fish. :D

Clown: Nemo (not too original)
Royal gramma: Sherbert
Neil (Diamond): Diamond Goby
Coral beauty: Carol
Firefish: One Love (after a neat medicine man we met on Antigua)

Until recently, we also had Scampi, the peppermint shrimp. RIP Scampi!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think my names for the cleaner shrimps are the best I have.
Mr Burns and Smithers (you know how they hang their two arms down!)

Then the fish

Eli-the eel
Alfalfa- Niger trigger
Chomp-panther grouper
Moe-was the last remaining of 3 chromis, larry and curly couldn't hack it next to Moe (RIP)
Sunny-Anthias
Sky-Blue dartfish (RIP)
Angel-Pygmy angel (yeah got creative there with that one :nuts:)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I have a snail that I've named Wiggy, because he has always had a big algae mop hanging off of his shell. It's about 4'' long now!

Larry the trigger, Pedro the lionfish, Puffy the porcupine puffer (SO creative!)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
We have named our fish also,

orange and white false perc - Jack M. Crazyfish
black and white fapse perc - Yoshi
yellow tang - Mr. Bubbles Tang

My wife's maiden name is Tang and her Dad is a Doctor, Dr. Tang. Everyone wants to know why my Yellow Tang isn't called Doc or Dr. Tang. I figured he might take offense.

·
Physical/Reef therapist
388 Posts
-I have a pair of orange skunks-Clark and Claire
-Lenny the Blenny (bicolor blenny)
-I've got two Oscellaris which I am waiting to name for when they change sexes (don't want to get them gender confused)
-I've got 2 green clown gobies, I named them "It" and "green monster" but I can never tell which one is which unless it's feeding time.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I'll most likely name one of the fish after my daughter. When I was trying to come up with a name for her I wanted it to be beautiful, but also reflect part of me.

So we named her Scrotenella.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I name my fish dork, dumb***, window licker and knuckle head. Every fish gets each name at various times of their tenure depending on the stupid thing they do at the time...

·
Bubble Algae Warrior
4,365 Posts
window licker............ !!!:rotflmao:

...anyway... i like to name them or have them named. daughter and hubby named the last two, Todd the toadfish and Mulcher the lawnmower blenny, respectively.

our snowflake eel was named Banana by my older daughter... my lettered snails and when i had strombus grazers (my absolute favorite snail) they were referred to en masse as "the army of darkness" because of the way they erupt from the substrate, it seems like some nightmare scenario in a B movie.

since i have no other critters in my tanks right now besided Todd and Mulcher, i'm considering naming my unusual (to me) black stomatella snail. i see him often enough and he's obvious enough, he should get a name. maybe Kingsford. for the charcoal color.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I name my fish dork, dumb***, window licker and knuckle head. Every fish gets each name at various times of their tenure depending on the stupid thing they do at the time...
:lol:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I name all of my fish
Starry blenny = Tina Turnover
Bullet goby= Ike
Flame angel= Patrick
Yellow tang= Brian
scotter blennie = Steven
Anthius = Blanch Dorthy Rose and Stan
6 line = Tad