The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can't for the life of my figure out whatmy urchins are! It won't lwt mw upload a picture so ill describe them.. they have short spines and lool tiger stripped they both have white, Orange, and black spines. Some one help if you can! :fish:

· Underwater Demolitions
11,734 Posts
Don't understand. The pic looks like a pincushion urchin and looks fine. Is it the one you say looks sick or the new one that looks awesome.

H

Ps Cassie, we like to suggest that posts are not written in "text" style; great for quick messages but no good for posting issues :)

· Premium Member
6,362 Posts
Looks like a sea egg to me. Im not sure why you say that one looked sick. The only way to tell if something is wrong with them is if they are losing spines or refusing to "carry" anything (like shells, frags, rock rubble, etc for camouflage).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so that picture of that urchin I put up, looks like spines fell out, and alot of its 'tentacles' are black and shrivled up. It.looks almost like its balding. But it hasnt lost any spines and looks to be improving. I bought another urchin and it is full of tentacles and spines and is very big compared to the other. I'm just wondering if the first one I bought is sick.

· Harbinger of Salt
875 Posts
How are your nitrates? Inverts are much more sensitive to nitrate levels than fish. Its possible the urchin could have been sick when you bought it, did it look healthy at the LFS or was it already losing spines? Since your tank it new there may not be another algae and food around for it to forage on. Try spot feeding it. place some pellet food or a piece of krill ect (something that doesnt break down and dissolve easily) and hold it lightly against the urchin. His little tenticles should come out once it senses the food and will attach to it and take it from your hand. Once it has the food youll see it move the piece to it's mouth.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.