The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys I'm sure everyone here knows what black coral is and that is it not worth 3 pesos. I just got back from a trip to Mexico and was offered at numerous places "very rare black coral jewelry"

Now my question is -because this is not true black coral- what type of coral is used to make the bracelets, or weather it is even coral at all. Secondly can I get my hands on any to grow in my tank?

Thanks
Jamie

PM me for a picture if you are unsure of what I am taking about, I cannot post a link or pic because this is my first post. Unless someone would be so kind to post the picture found by googleing mexican black coral it is the 4th picture in images on a site called winnipeg.olx. c a

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the picture post Solace87. I know that walking up and down the the beach you can find washed up coral that looks exactly like what could be a bracelet after you bend it and then lacquer it or maybe soak it in a water and glue solution to let to harden up. If you look at the finished product you can see the individual branches that have either been wrapped around a larger one or almost glued at the end, they also like to use a metal band to hold the smaller pieces for the "woman's" versions.

I still want to know what type of coral or sea plant it is, I brought a few small washed up pieces home ill post a pic later today.

·
Old Man in the Sea
252 Posts
How does this end up in a General Reef Discussion forum?? I once had a reef tank with many bracelets and rings in it???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you very much 1 SMART, i believe that is what they are using. Here is some extra info incase anyone else is curious

Also known as Junceella fragilis, Octocorals, Whip Coral, Wire Coral, Black Coral Sea Whip, Black Wire-coral and Whip Gorgonian.

Found on walls and reef flats.
They feed on plankton.
Varies in colour.
Length - 2m
Depth - 10-30m
Widespread Indo-Pacific

They are called Black Corals because the inner skeleton is black, over this they have a fleshy skin that varies in colour with the different corals.
The polyps have six tentacles which although cannot be retracted, may shrink if disturbed.
A number of other animals live in the branches, e.g. Pteria penquin (Winged pearl oyster), Lopha cristagalli (Cock's comb oyster), Periclimenes sp.(Black coral shrimp).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts