The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I came home from work this afternoon to find my BlackCap Basslet named Spooky stuck to my overflow...
Other than the fact that the crabs/star had gotten to him after death, he seemed otherwise in good condition.
So first thing is I ran the series of tests.
Temp 79.2 *F
Salinity 1.026
Ammonia <.25
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 0
PH 8.3

The blue tang in my tank seems a little stressed out. I'm assuming this is from the slight bit of ammonia, but my yellow tang and clowns seem to be fine.

The only thing I can think of is that the yellow tang has been asserting dominance over the tank, i've never seen him go after the basslet though...
So i'm stumped as to why he died.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
maybe some kinda foriegn chemical poisoning?? windex, soap, something else from your hands? etc.
water change might just be a good idea asap.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Twitterbait said:
your salinity is high. you need to drop it for starters. you shouldn't show amm unless your using windex or something.
Dont mean to step on your toes .. however 1.026 is not too high IMO .. we are finding out that the ocean has a lot more salt in it than we thought ... there are several tanks including mine running at that SG that are doing great ....

I agree with the ammonia though ... and usually where there is ammonia there is Nitrite and Nitrate ... however the tests show 0 .. I would suspect that the test kit this person it using shows the lowest number of .25 ... hunts why he put a < (less than) sign in ...

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep, my test kit for ammonia isn't the clearest
i figured the ammonia was from the decaying fish
i know for a fact that windex or another cleaning product wasn't used in the vicinity of the tank, no burning candles either.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
Sometimes fish just die...and the reason is never understood. I am glad you are doing a water change. :) I can't recall...are you using a skimmer?

In any event, I am very sorry for your loss. :(

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your lost fish. Sometimes they just die for no reason. Water changes are a good idea though just in case.

HHC

·
Protect the Worlds Reefs
1,152 Posts
I also run 1.026 salinity and have never had a problem. SOrry to hear about your loss and as you will find in this hobby, somethings are hard to explain. It can be a fine line between chemical exposures. Do you have any clownfish in the tank?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hmm. Interesting, but like many others have said, I too, keep my SG at 1.026ish at 80 degrees. I lost my trigger (really bad circumstances with triggers it seems) this week. All params are fine and every other inhabitant is happy and well. I just left it as it just happens sometimes.

*shrug*

-K

1 - 14 of 14 Posts