The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone feed their fish Brine shrimp? Just got some, i usually feed them Mysis shrimp so i changed it up

Fish in my tank
3 Reef Chromis
2 anthias
1 Sand Sifting Goby
1 six-line wrasse

Corals
Frog Spawn
Torch
Zoas
Xenia
Hammer

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whats the difference honestly?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha so i shouldn just be feeding them Brine i need to include mostly Mysis

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you feed gut loaded spirulina brine shrimp, they're better for the fish. Brine shrimp are like potato chips. The fish love them, but not very good for them.

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
i use both also the brine are more like candy for them they love it and the other gives them the nutrition they need

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
There are a lot of misconception about brine shrimp and one is that they are nutrition-less. That is false.
Brine shrimp grown from GSL cysts actually have more protein in them than most of the foods that you feed the fish. They are low in the fatty acid profile as juveniles and adults though. This can be solved by enrichment with products like the selco/selcon emulsions, or with the powdered Algamac 3050 which I prefer.
When hatched, the nauplii have a high fatty acid level because of the nutrient in the egg sack, but as the egg sack is depleted, the fatty acid level drops. As they grow the protein level increases as the fatty acid profile drops.
The nauplii have an incomplete digestive tract when hatched but as they moult to the second instar stage, they can then begin eating. It just takes a long time at that point for them to fully enrich with 24 hours being the ideal, but many find 12 hours to be acceptable. As they grow, the enrichment time drops to the point adults can be fully enriched in four hours, but many only do it for an hour to an hour and a half.
For the greatest amount of artemia information see the United Nations FAO website, Manual on the Production and Use of Live Food for Aquaculture.
http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/003/W3732E/w3732e00.htm Scroll down to section 4.0 Artemia for the whole article.
For the chart on Protein levels, see section 4.4.1 table 4.4.1. The levels given are BEFORE enrichment is done.
That being said, mysid shrimp and the fresh water cousins, mysis, do have slightly higher nutrient profiles, however, they can not be produced in any meaningful numbers in the times that brine shrimp can be produced and the amount of work is significantly higher for that lower yield.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ive got frozen ones does that make a difference?

·
CONSTANTLY LEARNING
1,598 Posts
Same thing will apply with frozen, the mysis will be a little better than the brine.
If you note on the packages, frozen brine always states their percentage of protein in wet weight percentages, where mysis a lot of times gives theirs in dry weight percent with some being done in wet weight percent.
It can be very misleading if you compare a dry weight to a wet weight percent, making the mysis EXTREMELY high, when in fact, they are only slightly higher.
Just imagine you take for instance, your best flake food with a given percent that the package will always report dry weight percentage. Now, drop that flake food into some salt water and let it soak up the water.
Now, calculate the WET weight percentage and you will now have a VERY low percentage of any nutrient listed.
This perhaps is part of the misconception that brine shrimp have no nutrition.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Understood, I'm gonna rotate their food then 1 n 1

·
Registered
211 Posts
i've heard fish should only have a little bit of spiritualina. too much can cause health problems. so i think brine shrimp enriched with something else would be better. and yea, i've compared the brine nutrition charts to mysis and they don't seem that different. pe mysis seems to be the only one thats a lot higher, but it is also a lot more money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Good afternoon all. I am just thinking about buying a 75 gallon tank so i can improve mine which is a 10 gallon. Is that a good idea ? Is there any other size that i should consider ? What type of filtration do i need to buy ? Please help me eith good advices

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Hi diazrene! Can you please start a new thread with your questions? That way we can focus on you and your questions instead of treading on someone else's thread. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts