The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's part of a little saga and the issue isn't fully closed yet. Needless to say, i was supposed to have this system running in April. The seller has been jerking me around. I still don't have it, despite a down payment placed in march. I was hoping to be propping frags for at least a year, but now it looks like I could be moving in 5 months, no way I'm going to setup a 200g system. I had built everything, the stand, the custom in stand GFCI outlets, the perfect system, all sans the tank. Not its all either being sold, and the stand will have to be trashed because I won't have the tank (that's a 75-100 loss alone). The tank is unique and I could only build a similar tank. I don't have the proper tools or the space to do that at my current house.

So, after 4 months, I have nothing to show for anything, other than a 55gal rufugium.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Wow sorry to hear all that. I understand the 4 months syndrome. AFter about 4 months you should be up and running full bore not just haveing a refugium.

If nothing else go Nano. It can always follow no matter where, when, or what happens in your life.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
seriously considered it, actually, a 40g breeder is a bit bigger than a nano. is there any alternative to an ro unit??

I have the perfect ppendant for a small shllow tank, an 150w hqi. hmmm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Charles, before I just throw money at a nano or similar, I figure i'd ask a few questions.

Is a HOT refuge very helpfull? Do people really grow macro algaes in those small things? Namely I am thinking of the CPR aquafuge.

Next up, is a skimmer, I was thinking remora pro, but is that overkill on a 40g tank?

What's the best way to top off? Constant drip from kalkwasser? Kent aquadose a good idea?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Some people are using the HOT refugiums. ANd some use a large HOB like an Aqua Clear 500 as a HOT refugium. They usually add a little sand, some LR rubble and use it as a true refugium rather than growing Macro's which would make it more of a turf scrubber. Although you could add a small light and go combo refuge/scrubber.

I'm not a good one to recommend smaller skimmers cause I don't have one and haven't used on for a long time (small skimmer that is). I do think on a 40gal a skimmer would be a good idea. Maybe post that question in the TRT Nano Forum for some specific recommendations.

As for top off an aqua doser or similar would work. Many people are using a setup similar to the link below:

http://www.californiareefs.com/forsale.htm

I built my Nano for basically $400 complete. I did not skimp on the items I purchased (especially lighting). It is a very simple system that requires only a few min of maint. every week. It is easy to move around if needed. Basically it's a good system for someone who wants a little piece of the ocean but not alot of fuss. I sold a bunch of frags to pay for this Nano adventure.

Check out my website (link in signature) for a complete listing of hardware and cost. Although a 40 gal would probably cost a little more.

The Nice thing about Nano's is that the corals are free or cheap if you use the available resources wisely.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tips. Thinking about it more and more instead of selling out. I am looking at the AB Mini spacelight. wow.

Would light a 40 great.

Todd

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Todd,

I am using a 250 12K XM bulb on my 40 gal tank. I am using a seaclone 100 currently but I am switching over to a larger sump and a etss reef devil.

Ray

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
nice. I was going to run mine sumpless to reduce complexity and potential for problems. Ray,do you hve any pictures?

How do you do topoff and calcium?

And Charles, what do people keep in nanos that needs a refugium? A refuge lets your grows, but if they're not using them for algae control, is it just extra water volume for stability?

on my 40, I am considering a CPR 24" aquafuge, that holds 5 gallons. 45 is better than 40 gallons for stability, but if its not going to benefit me in any other way, is don't think i should invest.

I know about reverse daylight for pH, but I'll drip kalk.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I would use a 10 gal sump I drip Kalk. I drip about a gallon of kalk a week and just use ro water to top off daily. I don't have an autotopoff system. I am getting ready to setup my 75 if I don't have to move and Lisa is getting better with acrylic. I had thought to build a Kalk reactor.

Ray

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think most people are using it to grow pods. They have a small fish or two that would eat the pods in the main tank --- hence the reason for the refugium.

I personally went w/ as little equipment as I could get by with. I really just wanted the simplist system I could feasibly do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts