The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had a yellow tang in my old tank that eat everything..........this one seems to go for the brown alage tht is on the rocks, glass, and sand..........he didnt eat the flakes..........i have flakes because all i had was damsels............what should i feed him next..........im thinking roman lettus with a clip

·
Premium Member
3,510 Posts
you can get it inexpensively at the grocery... the kind that they use to wrap sushi just make sure it is pure seaweed and has no additives...just tear off a small piece and use your feeding clip or rubberband it to a rock....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks i will go and get it now ...........mainly because i am exchanging this tideppol overflow box for a cpr 90 overflow box.............this tidepool one stinks

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
You could also try some spirulina brine too - while tangs are grazers, they will usually accept meaty foods too. Spirulina brine is gut-loaded with blue-green algae, which is beneficial to the tang (and other fishes too).

Flakes don't really resemble anything they'd encounter in the wild - try something a bit more "natural" looking.

Nori is good too - you may have more luck with the rubber band on a rock method, at least until the tang learns to recognize it as food. They'd never likely encounter a brightly coloured plastic clip in the wild either ;)

Jenn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yellow tangs are Known to starve themselves for weeks. Offer live brine.
Here is a list of things they like to eat also:
Spirolina, frozen brine, euphausids, nori, kombu, blood worms, chopped clam, sulva, caulerpa, rhodophytes (red algae), phaeophytes (brown algae).

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
yeah i would say go with the nori

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

well so far i got some seaweed in a pack put it on a clip and have had it in there all day........i just got home a saw it nipple so i am assuming its eating it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts