The Reef Tank banner
3K views 30 replies 21 participants last post by  Casey 
#1 ·
Ok, I had to relate the awesome day that my wife made for me this past Saturday. Last week was a particularly stressful week at work, alot of stuff going due to the short work week due to the Labor Day holiday, etc etc. Anyway, by Friday I was fit to be tied and didn't get home till late, had dinner and pretty much went to bed by 9:30pm due to being exhausted.

Well, I guess my wife felt sorry for me and decided to cheer me up with a Saturday dedicated soley to shopping for the tank :dance: :banana: ... for those that don't know I finally got my 180 setup and have been stairing into a glass box full of rock for the better part of 7 weeks while the rock cured and 2 weeks with only one flamehawk and a few corals to look at.

Well we got up Saturday, she told me to get dressed and she was taking me to lunch. We had a great lunch at PF Changs here in Knoxville and then she sprung the surprise of a tank shopping spree, a little side note may clarify the fact that my wife likes the tank, but hates going to the LFS with me as the visit usually lasts between 30min to 2 hours.

Anyway, 4 hours later I came home with:
Powder Blue tang
a school of 4 Lyretail anthias (3 female, 1 male)
Royal Gramma
LawnMower Blenny (that one's for you Fly, and he is really cool)
5 peppermint shrimp
6 turbo snails
12 nessarius snails
12 scarlet reef hermits
blue linka star
burgandy sea star
And about $500 less in her purse (yes folks ... my lovely and wonderful wife bought all my stuff for me)

The tank is now FULL of life and freaking awesome to look at... I'll post some pics for all to enjoy.

See less See more
#6 ·
:ac15:holy fright! :ac11: dude that's awesome!!! You'd better remember your wifes over abundance of love come christmas!!!!! :lovebirds: :bow: :queen:

I'd like to see a full front fts please!:thumbup:

#19 ·
Oh, you better believe that Santa is going to be VERY good to her this year.
And I suspect she will get something other than a few fish and snails! :agree:

What a great shopping trip, drdude! Did you get those at The Aquarium? Beautiful critters.

I did notice an Aiptasia 'blossom' atop the purple rock next to the Frogspawn. A shot of Kalk paste will take care of that.

Sweet-looking tank with a very nice rock arrangement and healthy corals.

Dick:)

#23 ·
Cool!
Do you think your wife could talk to mine? give her some hints?

My wife and kids do not like going to the LFS with me at all. They wait in the car for me. I like messing with them by saying once everyone is in the car "We are going to the fishy store", you can hear my kids in the back complaining and making noises.

#24 ·
How could anyone not like going to the fish store :a17:...It is like getting a new toy every time. I think of it as vacation sometimes!!!! :ac11:

I'll take one of those and one of those....and one of those...

Congrats on the new stuff...your wife has invested in her future and has built some credit she can use against you :eek: .

I forsee this this (if it were me)...

My Wife - "honey will you go shopping with me, I need a new dress for the party tomorrow"
Me - "ummm...I am busy with something (anything) ;) ... I can't go with you :idea:, maybe your sister will go..."
My Wife - "uh, honey...remember that time I bought you all those :fish: "
Me - " oh yeah...let me get the keys" :bawling:

But maybe that is just me...:lol:

#25 ·
Thanks for all the kind words and compliments on the tank. I do have a great woman, there is no doubt about it (course I knew that before she bought me all the new kids for the tank ... but that certianly gives her alot of extra credit :funny: ).

She has been listening to me for several years now, talk about wanting a big tank for sps and to have a bigger fish variety than my old 58 would allow. She's watched me plan, research, replan, build, rebuild for the past 2 years, and be very particular about equiment and lighting choices. I was also smart in including her by asking her opinions on the stain color for the stand and canopy (so it would match the decor :D ), placement in the room, and what kind of things she would like to see in the tank. She thought it was kinda cool to learn about the schooling habits and social order of anthias as well as the light requirements of anemones (she wants a clown anemone combo in the tank after she found out they form a symboitic relationship in nature) and why I obcess about detail so much ... the lighting you buy and skimmer choice REALLY DOES make a difference as she now uderstands a little better (she is not as mad at me now for my $350 skimmer :thumbup: .

#26 ·
Oh, as for your question Dick. The kids came from both the Aquarium on Papermill and The Coral Reef on Kingston Pike. And the atipsia are starting to sprout which is why I got the peppermint shrimp. Other than Copperbands and Foxface is there anything else that eats them?

LL: I could try and see if the girls will talk ... but I have found you have to get them receptive to the idea first ... wine tends to help :nuts: .

icebear: I think you are right ... she has already asked me how long we have to wait before we can add the Clown and the anemone. I caught her looking at rose bubble anemones one of the livestock sites I order from :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.