The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fugured the best way to enjoy my hobby was to bring my wife into the aquarium hobby. So I purchased my wife her own 55 gal tank. She wanted to do freshwater, salts too much trouble she said. We purchased the pumps, fish, rocks, plants, lights and more....Also to enhance the enjoyment I also purchased a subscription to FAMA so we can learn more together. Well she got to the mail box first yesterday and got the new issue before I could read it. Last night after the kids were sleeping she started to read.....all I heard was little comments like...yea thats him and he's addicted under her breath....Well today I had my chance to get the new issue and read it myself. The article is very funny "Aquarium Widow Woes" and I did not understand her comments until today.

So today I came to grips with my obsession and admitted I am an addict to my reef tank.:bigeek: They say admitting it is the first step to recovery...But there is no cure for this just support groups and I am happy to belong to the best ......The Reef Tank!!!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
LOL, My Wife is a ReefNeckWidow and she displays it proudly. I managed to get her into the hobby and she has her own 75G Reef and a 55G Reef now. I guess we both need a 12 step program. ;)

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
I have been doing salt for years and I have been with my wife 16 years and it was in the past year thet she finally got her own tank, i got it for her office at work, and and even will make a meeting of the loacal reef club. But now it's what do you have for my tank. what about that out of your tank, LOL I don't like to share my corals with her.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,191 Posts
Sounds like you guys all manage it well. Just try not to step on her feet once in a bit when you go out dancing.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I totally understand that! My family and friends don't understand the addiction to this hobby. All I ever hear is that 'it's all you ever talk about' and 'you spend way too much money'.
I guess that this forum is our little recovery group... one reef addict helping another reef addict!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Ok, so now I had a thought...

The Twelve Steps of Reef Keeping

1. We admitted we were powerless over reef keeping - that our face have become glued to the tank watching every small thing that happens in our tanks.

2. Came to believe that TRT can restore our sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn all of our money and time over to the hobby of reef keeping .

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of how we put our tanks before our families and friends, and can only rejoice in this process by the progress we have made.

5. Admitted to TRT, to ourselves, and to our critters that we know we can’t stop this addiction and will continue to care for our tanks till we are broke.

6. Were entirely ready to have TRT help suggest how we can spend our money. Buy! Buy! Buy!

7. Humbly ask our critters every morning, noon, and night if they need anything and are willing to go to any lengths to make them happy.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and told them that this hobby is a way of life and we need it function on a daily basis.

9. Made direct amends to all of the critters that we had harmed and vowed to ask everyone in TRT to help us when we need the help making them happy.

10. Continued to take personal inventory of all the jealousy and envy that we have over everyone else’s tanks and then go out and buy bigger and better at any cost.

11. Sought through daily, hourly, and by-the-minute watching of our tanks that we are reaping the rewards no matter the cost and time.

12. Having had an awakening that reef keeping has no price tag, we vow to help others practice and get involved in reef keeping and TRT.

Sheli Jo ‘Petunia’

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello everyone!

My name is Victoria, I am "Reefer Jerms" wife. I sat by watching my husband get more and more addicted to this hobby with each passing year. I got pretty used to him spending his time on the tanks and the money on the tanks as well. Jeremy is VERY into the tanks, he can name off all the scientific names as well as common names of everything we have, so I would sit there listening to him for hours tell me about EVERYTHING, and use words that I cant pronounce let alone understand!

Then a couple years ago he had a couple 55 gal tanks and some smaller tanks, well he decided that he would suprise me and give me one of his full blown 55 gallon reef tanks! I was shocked....and terrified. I just new I was going to crash the whole thing, lol. Well, two years later I have been able to sucker him out of both his 55 gallon tanks as well as two of his 10 gallon tanks! He isnt complaining though because now he has a 180 gal Acro tank as well as 3 other SPS tanks.

I try to only keep softies in my tanks, I dont really care for the SPS too much, I always knock them over and have to reglue them, softies can handle a little clumsyness. Jeremy on the other hand doesnt allow any softies other than xenia in his tanks...which is fine with me, that means I dont have to share!

Im trying to talk him into getting himself a bigger tank so I can snag up his 180 gallon....it sure would look good with all softies and I dont mind hand-me-downs, LOL.

Well, I have babbled long enough, just thought I would share my story of how I got sucked into this hobby and am now a full blown addict! We do have an empty 55 gallon tank I am trying to talk Jeremy into setting up as another softie tank but I dont think he's going to go for that, LOL.

Happy reefering;
Victoria

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
Vitoria....thanks for sharing, seriuosly!

sounds like YOU might be teetering on the edge (of addiction) yourself! hahahahah

·
11,345 Posts
Reefer Jerm said:
Hello everyone!

My name is Victoria, I am "Reefer Jerms" wife. I sat by watching my husband get more and more addicted to this hobby with each passing year. I got pretty used to him spending his time on the tanks and the money on the tanks as well. Jeremy is VERY into the tanks, he can name off all the scientific names as well as common names of everything we have, so I would sit there listening to him for hours tell me about EVERYTHING, and use words that I cant pronounce let alone understand!

Then a couple years ago he had a couple 55 gal tanks and some smaller tanks, well he decided that he would suprise me and give me one of his full blown 55 gallon reef tanks! I was shocked....and terrified. I just new I was going to crash the whole thing, lol. Well, two years later I have been able to sucker him out of both his 55 gallon tanks as well as two of his 10 gallon tanks! He isnt complaining though because now he has a 180 gal Acro tank as well as 3 other SPS tanks.

I try to only keep softies in my tanks, I dont really care for the SPS too much, I always knock them over and have to reglue them, softies can handle a little clumsyness. Jeremy on the other hand doesnt allow any softies other than xenia in his tanks...which is fine with me, that means I dont have to share!

Im trying to talk him into getting himself a bigger tank so I can snag up his 180 gallon....it sure would look good with all softies and I dont mind hand-me-downs, LOL.

Well, I have babbled long enough, just thought I would share my story of how I got sucked into this hobby and am now a full blown addict! We do have an empty 55 gallon tank I am trying to talk Jeremy into setting up as another softie tank but I dont think he's going to go for that, LOL.

Happy reefering;
Victoria
I TRIED giving her a reef tank of her own...to keep anything she wants in it. Unfortunately she now feels that i have taken it to a level that is not fun for her anymore. She enjoyed it when it was just a simple 46 gallon bowfront with a bunch of different corals in it and we would change the water every couple of weeks. Although VERY supportive and even MORE so lenient with me and my messes, she not only doesnt want a "simple" set up of the past of her own, she especially doesnt want any part of the mad scientist looking setups i have going now. I unfortunately destroyed her from ever wanting a reeftank of her own, but she IS understanding of my addiction and she in turn gets ANY other type of toy she wants, when she wants it.

win/win i 'spose.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
LOL! Life is funny, isn't it?

My wife of 10 years started to understand my obsession about 1-2 years a go. Last summer I came to Az and I had to leave my family and my first reef tank behind, sold the tank and gave the habitants away. Only took some rock with me. We were apart for about 6 months and I remember telling her at when I first get settle I am getting a nano setup so I don't go crazy!
Now that we are togheter again and have a 55gal my wife asks me if I have to do anything with the tank and when we go to Phoenix or San Diego she asks me if I am going to the LFS and she plans around that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts