The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past several years i have been around big fish tanks(mostly my dads 210g office tank) and now that im at college i've decided its time for me to have one. However much to my dismay i have to go with one a bit smaller then my dads 210. Just b/c my room is tiny but if i could i would have. So i have a nice 12g nanocube dx on my desk. This project started about a month ago. I put in 10lbs live rock and some celurpa to start the tank off. pics:

Then i took approx a week for my tank to cycle and then i added my clean up crew. This crew consisted of: 5 dwarf red tip hermits, 5 scarlet reef hermits, 5 dwarf blue leg hermits, 2 peppermint shrimp(still yet to see them from when i but them in), 2 emerald crabs, 14 asterea turbo snails, 5 bumble bee snails. And let me tell you they went right to work. Then about a week later i added a white sabea anenome.
Yesterday i went to the store and i pcked up some corals. I got:
1-hammer coral
1-finger leather
1-colt coral
1-single mushroom(free)
1-single polyp(free)
and also 1- fire shrimp
heres a pic:

yes i know all the picks are $h1t b/c i took them with my laptop. I will add more up close and detailed pics when my dad sends up a digi camera.
-let me know what you think so far and tips and recommendations are greatly apperciated.
-pballer

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
CONGRATS on the tank!! They only thing I'm worried about is your tank is right next to the window. Keep a close eye on the temp.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
actually i planned on putting mind in front a window as well.. but this window barely ever gets sunlight. i have seen quiet a few in front of the window..now i dont have mine set up yet..but that was something i was gonna ask about.. how much would the temp change...just depend on how much sunlight hits it??

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Congrats on the new tank!

What is that disk shaped object on top of it?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i know bout the poss of the window being a prob but im in a small dorm room where there isnt room really to put the tank else where but i do keep the window closed mostly and the blinds down so i have been able to keep the tem stable and i also found out my if it does get a bit hot my fan for me pointed at the tank will bring the temp to the right point :)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had a nano (12gallon) and I had a fery diffacult time keeping the temp down. Having said that I do think they have up graded the fan systems in most of the newer nanos but temp is something to consider when placing it by the window. You might want to buy a small fan and place it facing your tank.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
o yea for in the future does anyone know where i would be able to buy black onyx percs b/c that what i really wanna put in my tank just b/c they are so beautiful

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
there appears to be some spider webs/cobbweb looking things coming of of my hammer and finger leather is this norm and what is this???

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
how long has the tank ran. i know you dont want to hear this but i think you are moving to quick dont over load the 12G nano. i have a 24G nano my self. For the anenome they usually thrive better in a mature tank with good lighting. what are you water parameters. because the smaller the tank the easier it is for you parameter to go sky high unlike a big tank it goes up slower.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
my water parmeaters have been norm ever since it cycled i checked a few days ago and they were normal yesterday i dont have what they were on me right now i have them in my room(i'm in between classes right now and i will post them later). As for the anenome he seems to love it in the tank and has showed some good signs.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks im trying to get one of the girls on my floor to lend me here digi cam to get some good pics to put up but havent seen her yet

·
Registered
597 Posts
why havent you seen your shrimp in that small of a tank? your fire shrimp may have killed them. imo there is no fish suitable for a 12g and those shrimp will get way too big.(you should prolly forget everything i just said, i just really friggin' hate nanos, fish in a ten inch long swimming space is just too unnatural once you see them on a real reef in the ocean)
it looks great though!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks everyone
-bleezy im not big of a nano fan myself but when you are a 2x2 dorm room you kind of got to shrink down your dreams of a tank hell if i had the room it wouldnt be a 12g tank it would be a 1200g(also if i had the money) with the peppermint shrimp i just finally saw them in a whole which on another topic i have found out that sometimes they just stick to a whole in the rock as long as there is food and my rock is really holey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts