The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I purchased a new Turboflotor 1000 Multi Skimmer about a month and a half ago. It worked unbelievably well... until I cleaned it.

After about 4 weeks I disassemble and clean all my pumps, and so I did with my new turboflotor. Well now, I am barely getting any skimmate - maybe a quarter cup a week.

I thought maybe I didn't get the pump back together properly, so I took it apart and reassembled, but still the same - very little skimmate.

The reaction chamber seems to be functioning normally; there have been no significant changes in any of the chemistry, salinity is normal, so I'm stuck.

Any suggestions?:help:

Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
How long has it not produced any skimmate for you? It sounds like the skimmer just needs to break in again after the cleaning.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BGJ223 said:
How long has it not produced any skimmate for you? It sounds like the skimmer just needs to break in again after the cleaning.
I Josh,
It's been 2 weeks since it has worked properly.

And it is producing some skimmate, but only a small amount each day. Before I cleaned it, I would have to empty it about every three days.

Thanks,
Brad

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
Check that all the connections are solid, and that you did not accidentally leave out the water level adjustments or put them back in the wrong way. Turn the line on those things toward the cup to get more skimate, and toward the outlets for less.

Also check that the Venturi has not gotten plugged, once a month or so I clean dried salt out of mine with a 1/4" drillbit. On the in sump model this is perfect for knocking it out.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Don't clean it that often. you only need to worry about the skimmer cup for the most part. I would wait at least 5-6 months to take everything apart to clean. check the knobs on the outflow, you probably need to re-adjust them to bring the water level up in the chamber.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
just bought a new coralife skimmer great info everyone will come in handy in the future

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to raise the water level by dialing the knobs back toward the reacton chamber, but whten I do, the cup leaks water as it is just a slip fit.

And again, before I cleaned the pump, I had them wide opened and it worked great.

Thanks,
Brad

-Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wiskey said:
Check that all the connections are solid, and that you did not accidentally leave out the water level adjustments or put them back in the wrong way. Turn the line on those things toward the cup to get more skimate, and toward the outlets for less.

Also check that the Venturi has not gotten plugged, once a month or so I clean dried salt out of mine with a 1/4" drillbit. On the in sump model this is perfect for knocking it out.

HTH,
Whiskey
Whiskey,
By venturi, do you mean the fitting where the air line connects to the pump?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Twitterbat,
The assembly that I have has the cup slip fit over the black collar. The black collar then twists into place on the skimmer body - and that is the part that has the o-ring. The actual cup doesn't have an o-ring - unless mine is just missing.

-Brad

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,737 Posts
bradneal said:
Whiskey,
By venturi, do you mean the fitting where the air line connects to the pump?
Yes.

Twitter is right, the cup should fit securally on the body and not leak. There are 2 things going on here, on the top of the skimmer body there is a lock ring, that goes in and turns, this should have an O ring beneeth it, if not then it could be part of your problem.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Twitterbait said:
you may want to silicone the cup to the sleeve.
:doh: Man I hate to do that. It was working fine - I can't imagine what the heck I did to screw it up. :(

-Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are actually 2 rings; a short one and a tall one. The cup simply slips over which ever one you want to use - I am using the shorter of the 2.

How old is yours? I wonder if they changed the configuration on the newer ones?

-Brad

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, more wierdness...

I went to my office this morning (where my tank is), and as I walked in the door, I could see that the cup on the skimmer was full to over flowing.

Yesterday when I left for the day, there was hardly anything in it.

All tank mates accounted for and nothing else visibly odd that I could see.

So what do you think is going on?

-Brad

1 - 17 of 17 Posts