The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Ive moved my reef into my 29 gallong tank, it seems like its been doing poorly. All my fish, crabs, shrimp, and snails have been doing ok. But my Xenias havent been nice and extended and full like they used to. My flowerpot is as good as dead, the whole bottom 2-3 rows had the brown jelly, and are now a skeleton. Also, my finger leather just hasnt had the knobbies on it like it did before. And my Torch isnt expanding like it should be!

The only thing I can think of is I cut/drilled holes on the top of my tank with my dremel, and some acryllic shavings got into the tank. I cant see any now, I think theyre all taken out. Im not sure if that could release a chemical though?

Also, when I switched tanks, I sucked out all of the water, and stirred up the sand to get out some of the filth (And some of the good bacteria Im sure).

My tank looks clean, but nothing is thriving like it was before =(

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only have that brown jelly on the bottom part of the flowerpot. Would it be smart to remove it from my tank and do a water change? I didnt know that could spread.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I should buy some of those trace mineral bricks... Maybe my tank is bare of nutrients? I mean I only let it sit for about 2 days with my cured rock, and clean up crew before I threw the rest in. Hopefully everything is just starving?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its not slimey... i just felt it, and it feels like a coral skeleton. now looking at it, about 50% of it is gone.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yes brown jelly can spread and take out all your corals! I would definately get the flowerpot out of there and do a water change. Try and siphon as much brown stuff as you can. I don't know if anything will help the flower pot except cutting away the infected area if possible. I just lost my brain to brown jelly but it was in a qt tank. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmmmm... I have like a redish, brownish sediment over my gravel. I wonder if thats the brown jelly crap

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think you are seeing the effects of MOVING your corals (which are ultra-sensitive to any move from one tank to another)

Did you replace a majority of your water when you made the change?

A new tank with new water reeks havoc on corals.... NEVER MOVE CORALS FROM AN ESTABLISHED TANK TO A NEW TANK WITH NEW WATER.

Last month I moved from a 40gal cube to a 75gal and lost: 6 xenias, 5 torchs, 2 frogspawns, a suncoral and a bta.... all because I was a dumbaxx and didnt use the SW from the 40gal and started with completely new SW in the 75gal... Stressed everything out and LOST $300 worth of corals. I'M STILL PISSED AT MYSELF but trying to tell myself it was an EXPENSIVE learning experience.

Atleast I've learned now with the new 75gal that I'll have to WAIT atleast 6-8 months for the tank to age long enough to even THINK about replacing such items again.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WEll, I had a puffer living in my 20 gallon that I did the swap with. So I figured it was semi-established.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and the change could make sense... the flowerpot was the only one who went from the 29, to my 10 for a couple days, to my 20g after that.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
The brown on the gravel could be just algae. Moving the flower pot so often could have stressed it out causing it to get sick. Stirring the sand may have released some toxins too. You may be getting a mini cycle that is stressing everyone out.

Man I just read that and there are alot of could have's and may have's! Sorry I couldn't give you a definate answer.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, 20% water change is done. If my tank is cycling, is there anything to stop it? And dont fish and the clean up crew die when its cycling?

·
Registered
307 Posts
how many tanks do you have?

I'm counting 3 in your previous post: a 10gal, a 20gal and a 29gal

....and your moving stuff around from one tank to another to another. Corals will never survive making that many trips. Find a permanent home for them and leave them be...I found this out the HARD way last month

YOUR FISH WILL BE FINE....they are 10times hardier than corals when it comes to changes and cycling. Hell, I've put fish through low salinty (1.001) cycles and back up to regular salinity with no problems but corals just say, "the hell with this...goodbye" and shrivel up and die overnight

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
No way to stop a cycle and you dont want to keep moving them around but if you are having a major cycle going on and at risk of losing them anyway it couldnt do any more harm. If you have a stable tank get the corals in it and leave them there for a while to have a chance to recover. Fish can handle cycle better. If you are cycling test should spike and I wouldn't do anymore water changes or the cycle will go on and on. Good luck and this is how we learn.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Ok, before i can give you any real answer i need the stats on the newer tank, lets get the basics. amm, nitrite, nitrate, ph, salinity. how does the water smell, what kind of circulation do you have and what lighting is on the tank. I would not worry too much about the prior posts until we have a full picture. a picture of the corals affected would help too.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I dont have any tests, I have my LFS test it weekly for free when I go in =\. Also, I moved the flowerpot back to my 10 gallon lastnight, fearing it might be that brown jelly.... within 10 minutes the heads of the tips started to poke out. This morning they were out about 1", when they were totally contracted for the last week or so!

Now heres the question.... stress out my corals, and leave them in a possibly bad environment, in my 20. Or stress them out and move then to a possibly better environment, but have that added stress of an environment change.

I'll get some test results coming up on monday, and some pics today when I Get out of work,....

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Assuming the 10 is better i would move them over. In the end you NEED to get the test kits yourself. you need to have them on hand so you can test right away when you have an emergency. besides that i would not trust most LFS with testing the water correctly. Please get the tests. We cant help you out without knowing what the exact levels are.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just those little strips, that test for like 4 things will work? They dont seem like theyd be accurate to the decimals, like you people post...

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Test Results!

I bought a Jungle Fish Care brand quick dip multi test kit. And I also bought a Salifert Ammonia kit, because the multi test doesnt test it.
My tank is as follows:
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
KH: 300 ppm
PH: 7.8-8.4 (but closer to the 7.8 color)
Ammonia: <.25, MAYBE up to .25 at the very absolute most (Its kind of hard to read on the salifert chart) The ammonia test is just cloudy, its not yellow at all.

I also bought this API brand Stress Zyme, and the API brand Stress Coat. Im not sure how many of you are familiar with this, or if its reputable, but it looked like it would help, and the LFS guy recommended it. Also, I bought one of those trace element blocks to throw into my filter.

Im not going to add any of this until I get the advice from one of your experts. If youre not totally positive with what to do, please dont advise me. I dont want to kill everything =\

1 - 20 of 33 Posts