The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How annoying this is. Within the last 2 weeks I have had a field of caulerpa and cheato grow on my LR. It just keeps growing and growing and growing. I try to keep up with trimming it back, but nothing seems to work at all. It is overtaking the entire back section of the rock in my tank.

·
There is no kryptonite!
1,546 Posts
exactly, there is definitely a good amount of nutrients and light in your tank to grow that stuff. How large is the tank? You could get a Doliatus Rabbit fish to keep your algae in check, the most beautiful rabbit fish of them all and also the smallest.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I do tend to overdo it on the feeding. This will probably make your eyes bug out.

I take a teaspoon of DT's oyster eggs, a teaspoons of cyclop-eeze and two capfulls of DT's Reef Plankton. I shut off all my filtration for about 3 hours and grind up all that in a blender. Then i dump it in my tank. I do that about 6 times a week. The coral growth rate is phenomenal. Not to mention the clam growth rate. Problem is this caulerpa that is everywhere and the flatworms that keep popping back up. I heavily skim all the time outside of when it is shut off for feeding. I should probably cut the food back to once a week though because even my SPS corals are starting to retract their polyps as they have no need to keep them out.

I was also looking at dabbling in one of the higher end carbons as long as it doesnt fluctuate my PH or drop my elements too much. But the tank is around a 70 with about 400 watts of HQI metal halides on it.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Thats a lot of nutrients to add to the water, so you know that needs to be cut WAY BACK
What kind of skimmer are you running on your 70?

Are you using RO/DI water for top off and to make new SW for waterchanges?

Are you running a deep sand bed, how often do you take a baster or powerhead and squirt the buildup on the liverock then do a water change?

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doug1 said:
Thats a lot of nutrients to add to the water, so you know that needs to be cut WAY BACK
What kind of skimmer are you running on your 70?

Are you using RO/DI water for top off and to make new SW for waterchanges?

Are you running a deep sand bed, how often do you take a baster or powerhead and squirt the buildup on the liverock then do a water change?
No, i'm completely stupid, LOL. I use RO/DI water to top off (freshwater). I am running an AquaC Remora Pro. My sand bed is around 4 inches of Aragalive Fiji Pink. I have about 1000 GPH on a pulse wave maker aimed directly at every square inch of the live rock 24/7

·
Registered
537 Posts
For the purpose of greater elimination

Are you running your skimmer really wet? I know the pro is capable of it, I have one.

You do realize don't you, that 1000gph on a pulsemaker is more like 300gph due to on and off? Given that, how big is your tank?

IF you would like to eliminate flow as a source, do this experiment, take a turkey baster full of SW and squirt your rock. Does anything come off? If so build up could be the problem, if not, then build up isn't the problem.

Excuse me, build up could be contributing, not necessarily causing.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"You do realize don't you, that 1000gph on a pulsemaker is more like 300gph due to on and off? Given that, how big is your tank?"

No, like each pump turns over 1000GPH. So it is constantly that. I probably should have mentioned that though, LOL. I am most likely going to get 4 700 GPH powerheads and use Hydor Flos on each one placing two at each of the aquarium and two different heights.

·
Registered
537 Posts
jonnywater said:
"You do realize don't you, that 1000gph on a pulsemaker is more like 300gph due to on and off? Given that, how big is your tank?"

No, like each pump turns over 1000GPH. So it is constantly that. I probably should have mentioned that though, LOL. I am most likely going to get 4 700 GPH powerheads and use Hydor Flos on each one placing two at each of the aquarium and two different heights.
Good, good, a lot of people don't take the cycling into account. I have nice flow, but not massive in my tanks but I still have to squirt out the holes in my lr due to worms making tunnels:rolleyes:

If I don't baste this, hair algae starts to grow. I am not sure if you share the problem or not but figured it would be good to eliminate as a potential source since I even have holes that go all the way through the rock now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts