The Reef Tank banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made the move out of my small apt into my house. MY fishtank has been neglected to the point where the skimmer was the only equipment working and not that well to go along. Right now, my tank stinks from something. I gave my fish to a friend to hold temporarily and have gotten rid of the water and sand, did I mention this stinks as well?
Right now, I put a drop of Tide in my tank with allot of water to rid of the smell and it's working somewhat.
I want to start fresh now and need an idea of what to put on the bottom of the tank. What I am looking for is a FOWLR tank that is extremely easy to maintain. The rock will be Eva Rock and the fish will be mostly tangs and clowns. I have an Eheim Canister filter that I have no idea of what to put inside except for thier regular stuff manuf. listed. MY skimmer is a BakPak2 which I am happy with and a powerhead. All is hangon, if that mattyers.
Please let me know if I missed anything.
Thanks.

·
11,345 Posts
jetski said:
So I made the move out of my small apt into my house. MY fishtank has been neglected to the point where the skimmer was the only equipment working and not that well to go along. Right now, my tank stinks from something. I gave my fish to a friend to hold temporarily and have gotten rid of the water and sand, did I mention this stinks as well?
Right now, I put a drop of Tide in my tank with allot of water to rid of the smell and it's working somewhat.
I want to start fresh now and need an idea of what to put on the bottom of the tank. What I am looking for is a FOWLR tank that is extremely easy to maintain. The rock will be Eva Rock and the fish will be mostly tangs and clowns. I have an Eheim Canister filter that I have no idea of what to put inside except for thier regular stuff manuf. listed. MY skimmer is a BakPak2 which I am happy with and a powerhead. All is hangon, if that mattyers.
Please let me know if I missed anything.
Thanks.
Is the tank completely empty right now????? If so you can safely add a little bleach to help clean the smell out but just make sure you rinse well......
in fact..if it was my tank (and it IS the tank itself that stinks) i would take a cup or so of bleach with a couple inches of water in it and scrub the heck out of it.....again rinse WELL......like turn the tank on its side in the lawn or something and scrub rinse, scrub rinse

note.......DO NOT rinse the bulk of it out in your lawn.......your lawn wont appreciate it

IF there is still stuff in the tank and it is the WATER not the tank stinking just throw some carbon in that canister filter and it should clean the smell up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts