The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to salt but have a nice all natural 75g planted tank. Only using led light and a heater no filters besides plants. Ive been researching salt water tanks for over a year now and now that my 3 yr old loves nemo I got the ok from my wife to set one up.

I will appreciate any and all criticism and suggestions. It will be a slow build since this is gonna be a budget build. Here goes my set up and plans

40 breeder tank & glass top cover(have)
Petco 40 breeder metal stand(have)
Only pic I have so far. This is just where it is being stored not set up so don't worry about all light from windows

Filtration: looking to get a decent HOB skimmer looking at a aqua c remora pro or reef octopus. And looking at getting 50lbs dry rock and 40lbs sand

Sump: looking at just getting the large HOB aquafuge since stand is not covered and will br in my sons room. Was gonna set it up as a fuge but now after reading some things on her might just use it for extra water and to hide thermometer and and add ato to that. Maybe use some rock rubble back there for some podes. I really like the fact that it gravity feeds into tank and give it some extra movement from pump.

Fish: 1clown fish(not sure which one leanning towards black ice)
1 green clown goby(maybe)
1wrasse (mcosker or carpenter or something similer)
1 banghi cardinal
1 yasha goby pistal shrimp pair
1 royal gramma
1 skunk cleanner shrimp

Corals: not much I just love acans so I know they will get in here
Some yumas
Torch of some kind
Hammer
Frogspawn
Anemone (I know not a coral)
Mostly lps and maybe a couple sps not much tho

Lighting: trying to get an aquaticlife 4 bulb t5ho with the day night timer built in

Flow: 2 korolia 1400 gph evo pumps. Eventually will get the smart wave controller from them also

So far only got tank ,stand,& glass top.
I'm working on a deal wth Chrisd on this forum for the light, 2 pumps, and reef octopus 1000 hob filter so hoepfully that will go through and will have most my equipment ready.

Also looking for an ro/di kit and ATO if any one has anything available will appreciate it. This is gonna be a tight budget but looking to get some good used stuff on here and njreffers.com forum to get this all togther.

Any criticism or suggestions welcomed and appreciated. Looking forward to contribute and be part of this forum. So what u guys think

· Registered
365 Posts
Welcome and good luck. As a suggestion, with that size tank you really only need a RO/DI filter, a skimmer, live rock and regular water changes. A fuge isn't necessary and a HOB type will be to small to do alot of good. Put your main money in the skimmer and lighting. Keeping the fish is only the first part, adding corals puts it in a whole different universe.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geoff - skimmed that thread but haven't gotten a good chance of reading it through entirely yet

Jwink- I just kinda wanted it for hiding the thermometer and for pods once I staryed my corals.
So dobu guys think I could get away with out the aquafuge till I got coral? I originally wanted it for the above stated and to house chateo but after reading more on here I figured I would ditch that and use just as equipment storage and for the added 5 gallons

· Export with Care!
6,805 Posts
Storage for equipment is nice chaeto not much need.
I would skip the aquac skimmers if you can. I learned they are sub par compared to SRO models. Go SRO ones if you can.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Storage for equipment is nice chaeto not much need.
I would skip the aquac skimmers if you can. I learned they are sub par compared to SRO models. Go SRO ones if you can.
Which skimmer do u suggest I may possibly be getting a used reef octopus hob 1000. F
Do u think that is enough or should I get a bigger one

· Registered
200 Posts
Which skimmer do u suggest I may possibly be getting a used reef octopus hob 1000. F
Do u think that is enough or should I get a bigger one
Reef octopus is supposed to be one of the better brands out there. Also maybe look at eshopps? I've had great luck with their quality. But anything reef octopus will do fine. Just make sure everything works when you buy used and nothings cracked. Don't wanna start up the tank pumps and realize you have a tiny crack in the elbow of one of the fittings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.