The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All!
I'm new to this forum so I thought I'd jump in with a question:
My Six Line Wrasse is bulging in the abdomen. This bulge is very pronounced in the morning, but diminishes during the day--to the point of disappearing. I've had the fish for two weeks. It is the only Wrasse in the tank (30 gallons). Right now there are two Damsels sharing the tank with the Wrasse. It is a fully cycled tank.
The Wrasse eats healthily and swims about the tank with no difficulty. This morning I noticed that the protrusion had disappeared by 10:00 a.m. His (?) scales are NOT raised, so I don't believe it is Dropsy.
Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine was looking peculiar too--in fact, I had visited this thread earlier for consultation. It's abdomen looked bloated and it's scales were sticking out a bit. I'm not so sure if dropsy is as common with saltwater fish as it is with freshwater fish (if conditions are agreeable and I could be wrong in my assumption, but looking through various saltwater guides I have, nothing on dropsy was mentioned). The good news is within a week, my six-line is looking just fine and seems "back to normal". As mentioned above, it could have been temporarily unable to defecate or--and I do have some flatworms--it was stuffing itself on them (or something else!)

·
The Fang Blenny
1,092 Posts
My six line is also fat! But he's constantly hunting! No more polychaetes for me... Within minutes, he destroyed a population of small white feather dusters that came in with a coral colony. I really think if the tank fauna is there, they'll gorge themselves...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe he just ate a little too much? I've seen mine with a bulging stomach but only after feeding. I didn't even over-feed.
Obesity is a universal problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts